Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spector basses, any good?

JDL

I was searchin the net and I am interested in a Spector. The model is NS2002B. I know it is one of the lower priced Spectors. I think they look awesome, I have tried one, but not in a long time. Do you have any experience with these basses? By the way, my finger has improved a little. Any advice?

JDL-Jesus :freak:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried one of the lower model Rex basses and it was really nice for the price. I tried the 4 and 5 and the 5 had a nice, taut B string. I wasn't very impressed with the electronics, but that's easy to deal with. It was a very comfortable neck and balanced really well. I imagine the one you're talking about is nice. I have been jonesing for an American one with the crown inlays for years now. They're just so smooth and comfortable.

quite honestly i don't know too much about these new spectors, but it's been long enough that i can relate my sob story about the one that got away.

in 1991 i saw a kramer made spector NS-2. sapphire blue over quilted maple, fretless, and PERFECT condition. i don't think it had even been played at that point. i saw it in a used shop on 48th (some of you nyc people may remember "we buy guitars"). they were asking $1000. i said "i'll have cash tomorrow." the clerk said he'd hold it for me. i went back the next day with cash in hand. he sold it 10 minutes after i walked out they day before for $700. we both hated him for it.

aaaaaaaaaanyway, the old spectors were the low end of the gods. the new ones just kinda looked like the rest of the flimsy, mass produced "boutique" instruments. but who knows. the old ones kicked ass, maybe the new ones do too.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

The US made spectors are still the bomb and then some...

The CR-series is nice too, although the electronics aren't as high in quality.

Spectors aren't my taste, but they're great basses.

Stuart Spector has said on many occasions that he didn't like what Kramer was doing with the basses a few years after they took over...

I owned a US built Spector NS5XL for about 2 years. It was a fantastic instrument. I've played some of the CR-series basses that were rather nice as well, but I can't speak for the model that you are looking at.

The only reason I sold my Spector is that I am now playing Mike Lull basses, and it seemed silly to have such a nice instrument sitting around my house collecting dust. There is now a very happy Spector owner somewhere in the old Soviet Union that is enjoying my bass. :) I can't recall which country he lives in, but I consigned it through Bass Northwest and they told me that a guy over there bought it. Neat!

-Brian

Seems like all of the old spectors were good. Does anybody have any knowledge of the newer ones? That's a cool story Bump. Yeah, I can see how the newer ones look like a no-signifigance-copy, but they look like the same old Spector quality, just a little lower. But I'm kinda just looking around, the spector caught my eye, any other suggestions besides Spector? at the same price, or around them. The price for the NS200B is $389.99.

JDL-Jesus :freak:

Whilst I play Spectors exclusively, I like to think I am not overly biased, as there are so many wonderful ( and not so wonderful) basses out there. But after much testing, listening & hearing (they are different, yes?), and playing various axes of domestic & imported, custom built & mass produced, et al. the Spector line just fills this sailors boat, thank you.

The earlier contributors are wise in their message: older Spectors were (are) very fine instrument, then a downturn occurred when Stuart Spector handed the reigns to outsiders. Now that Stuart has come back to the fold there has been definite improvement in both product and service.

Are there better basses? Sure. And probably more inferior ones, too. But from an individual perspective, when I added up the cost, sound, playability, comfort, and finally the service, Spector just seems like a very compatible instrument for Moi and my needs. So,

If you are inclined, shoot them an email. My experience has been very good: prompt reply and willingness to discuss your needs (customize your on board preamps, neck styles, pick-up options, etc.).

The one item I have not gotten my hands on (yet) is Spectors electric upright.

"Arf", she said.

I know what you are talking about and have played one and they seem to be ok. I was not overly impressed with how it sounded though. the use those EMG HZ pickups and they seem a little weak to me. they are not bad basses though but I think everything in that price range is pretty equal in "out of the box" quality. if you like it go for it just play it first and make sure it sounds good to you. you might compare it to some ibanez's or fender mecican stuff in the same price range just to give you and idea.

I have one of the new mid-priced Spector Professional Series basses, and it's an absolute dream bass! Better than many of the much more expensive instruments I have owned and/or played over the years.

And with my bass rig, the EMG HZs absolutely kick ass! Very quiet and powerful! Lots of bite and attack.

Do yourself a favor, if you can't afford the top of the line Spectors...pay a little extra and get yourself one from the Pro Series line, instead of the entry level stuff.

Here's a couple of photos of my Spector...

http://herne.tripod.com/bassrig.html

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know anything about the bass you inquired about originally, JDL. However, this afternoon I spent some time with Spector basses: a ReBop 4 (Czech-made, bolt-on, traditional Spector body) and 4- and 5-string Korean-made (maybe one of them was the one you had asked about awhile back?). The ReBop (w/ EMG-HZ p'ups) kicked some serious tail. The Aguilar preamp is pretty sweet and I got some crazy phat tone out of the bass. Felt great to play -- ohhhhh, the GAS pains... The sound of the Korean ones didn't stand-up (but they're $400 less), and the body is a little different than the traditional Spector -- not quite as comfy or pretty.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived