Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass on "Breakfast in America"?

dcr

One of my all-time favorite albums, & every time I hear it the bass makes me smile wide. Great lines.

Does anyone know what kind of bass Dougie Thomson used on that album? It's LIKE BUTTA!! (My guess is either a StingRay, or a Jazz, but I'm not sure.)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno. But when I still had that album what got me was the bass production. From CRIME OF THE CENTURY to BREAKFAST the bass was big in the mix and had incredible detail. Great tracking, great processing, great mixes!

And great writing and playing!

Ditto, gb! Not sure what their secret was (probably wouldn't understand it if someone told me, anyway!), but those folks really knew how to produce sound. I've never heard ANY album that could BEAT Supertramp at tightness of bass track, & all the tracks are of that sort of quality (the drum tracks are especially clean). Amazing. I guess that's why they list their sound engineer (Russel Pope) as a band member on "Breakfast"!!

Maybe it's less important, then, what the axe was--with the writing, playing, & production quality, it was just bound to sound good. Still, I'd like to know!! ;)

Here's a bit about the bass recording from "The Logical Song" from Mix On-Line:

"...The bass was pure DI with a lot of EQ on it. Henderson remembers that Thomson "used to play with flat-wound strings, and the Harrison always had a really nice low end, even though the EQ wasn't very good on that desk. It probably had as much as +12 dB at 100 and 200. [The bass] had an awful lot of low end to it, and it, too, was put through an 1176..."

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Right on, dcr! I LOVE that album. It's VERY warm. Great bass sound. One thing to keep in mind is that there's lots of electric piano on that record. It's possible that some of the basslines were doubled by the piano, though I really don't know for sure. Like, for example, the song "Child of Vision" has a keyboard bassline. They might be doubling each other on that one, I don't know. I need to listen to that tonight to see if I can hear it. What a GREAT album!!!

DCR, you have come to the right place. I have studied all Supertramp recordings and know them all well. The excerpt that AlanThomas posted is correct and very usefull.

Dougies playing has influenced me as a bass player more than anyone else. His lines are technically advanced and ahead of their time and are wonderful to listen to.

I think the following songs really showcase Dougies abilities: Rudy, School and Goodbye Stranger.

The best way for me to describe Dougies recorded sound on Crisis, Quietest Moments, Crime and Breakfast is a fat MM sound.

ikestr

...hertz down low....

You guys are convincing me to pull out some old Supertramp stuff to re-vist it, this would've made a good example for when I posted "Give an example of what you'd like to sound like" thread that I did a while back........

I had no idea that Supertramp had this kind of

influence ---COOL !!!!!!

:wave:

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

Archived