Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When selling gear (drawing from the wisdom of this group)

Joel Wilson

I would never post anything For Sale on this board, but am curious if those with experience can share how they go about pricing gear they a ready to unload, and where you advertise? Ive searched key-words on Ebay and other auction sites but more often than not, I dont see matches for gear I want to sell, hence I have no price comparison or starting point.

For cars and trucks, we can go to the Kelly Blue Book. I understand there is a similar book/catalogue for music-related gear The ORielly Book? My memory may be fuzzy on the name. Ive donated instruments to local schools, but sometimes gear just does not apply for donations, and it seems getting a fair price from the git-go is good for the seller and the buyer.

Thanks for the feedback,

Joel

"Arf", she said.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To get an idea for pricing, go on ebay and look at completed auctions to see what they are going for. Then put your's on ebay, it is the easiest way to sell, especially if it is a large item.

There was a site for comparative gear prices online. I'll look and see if I can find the link and post it if I do.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I review the eBay "completed items" that are the same as or very similar to what I'm selling to see what they sold for. I look not only at prices, but also the condition/description and buyer/seller info -- this added info sometimes helps explain why the same item might have sold for a wide range of prices.

I review Harmony Central classifieds and also go to Bass Gear classifieds to see what the same or very similar items are being sold for.

I ask friends who are local players what they think they'd be willing to pay for the gear -- with the clarification that I'm not trying to badger them to buy it.

I also assess how interested I am in selling the item quickly. Usually I'm not under the gun to sell, so I may ask slightly higher with the understanding that I may wait longer for a buyer. Also, by not being in a hurry, I can take some time to figure out what I think is a fair price (or opening bid or reserve price if selling on eBay).

This all said, I have limited on-line buy/sell experience -- two purchases, two sales. I think there are others on this board much more prolific in that realm (Peter Romano?).

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by chardin:

Try PrePal which is an online listing of used instrument prices.

Pretty cool. Nice of them to tell you how many transactions they tracked. I'm curious how they establish the "trend" -- but maybe if I look more closely at their site they explain that.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

As far as refence books, try these (not an endorsement---only offered as info):

Blue Book of Guitars/Steven Cherne/Blue Book Publ.

(also offers seperate volumes for elec. & ac. insts.)

bluebookinc.com

(email) bluebook@bluebookinc.com

Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide/Alan Greenwood & Gil Hembree

Vintage Guitar Books POBox 7301 Bismarck ND 58507

(available from Hal Leonard)

vintageguitar.com

Make sure you definitely wanna sell it (tho' you sound pretty sure) Because it was sour grapes in here a little while ago with all the old guys remmenissing (Spalling?) about "my first pick, string, bass etc, etc) ;)

Of course I must add, all the trips down memory lane were great!! (if a little sore on the space time continium and the feet)

CupMcMali...This monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Archived