Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ibanez EDA fretless

conguiño

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the particular bass but Ibanez has made some good instruments and some not so good in several price tiers.

Nothing wrong with starting with fretless. That's what I did. Before electric basses thats what everybody did. Use the ears and make sure you are playing in tune with others.

Starting on a fretless will only help to make you a better player. The sooner you start the better off you'll be. When I started plugging away at a fretless, I had to unlearn a lot of stuff and learn to use my ears instead of my eyes. You have a lot more to offer when you play fretless, sonically speaking.

As far as the specific bass, I don't know anything about it. I've played some other Ibanez fretless basses and they were good, but not what I would consider great basses. Should serve your purpose. Play it before you buy it.

Well I think that if you have the money and are just starting out, then I would get a Fender. But, you are not me, so what ever you want. I need some advice as well, there's an Ibanez EBD 600. It is used, and for $349.99. Should I get it? I don't know why everyone else like, loathes Ibanez, I think they're pretty good...............

I don't really know much about fretless.........

JDL :freak:

Ibanez must be doing something right. Gary Willis is playing nothing but Ibanez basses on two out of two CDs I have of his - one's the sig model fretless five, and the other is an ATK strung with skinnies (25-65). Over the years I've seen a lot of guys use them as their primary bass. He sounds great.

It also seems to be a Name To Bash, in some circles. Maybe that's because of the cheapest of the cheap models, but even they have compared favorably over the years with other basses of the same price, for the most part.

"Dood, you're gettin' a fretless."

Anyway, I kinda sorta started on fretless. I ended up getting bored with them and ripped them out of my first bass. Now that my amp actually reproduces the sounds it's supposed to (my first sucked big ones), I think I've become more creative, because I can actually hear the nuances of the strings, and other stuff. I've opened the vibrato doors, if you will. And some other cool stuff as well.

I'm guessing all basses have the side markers, but maybe some don't. All the ones I've seen/played did. Also, you might look into the option of fret lines. Some companies offer them (I think Ibanez does) as options of fretless', so maybe you can hook it up scrate, dawg.

Anywho, I think that starting on a 5-stringer won't hurt. I just bought one recently, and have been relearning my way around the neck some.

Just don't overplay the low B, cause that's so cliche nowadays. Use it sparingly when you want a really cool growl.

Hope everything turns out well.

the only real complaints i've heard about the ergodyne series is that the luthite body smells funny.

a good thing about the luthite body is that it is lightweight. i have heard that they play well and sound well enough; between the magnetic pickup and the piezo, you are well along in creating some very versatile sounds.

robb.

Originally posted by greenboy:

Ibanez must be doing something right. Gary Willis is playing nothing but Ibanez basses on two out of two CDs I have of his - one's the sig model fretless five, and the other is an ATK strung with skinnies (25-65). Over the years I've seen a lot of guys use them as their primary bass. He sounds great.

The Gary Willis Sig is indeed one of the kickinest fretless fives on the market now. It's more than a little expensive for a bare-bones production dealie, but it plays like butter and has fretless tone to die for.

I don't like the EDAs, because the tonal mix is a little too extreme. The mag pickup sounds murky and the piezos sound too bright. Then again, there are all those screwdriver-tweakable pots in the back, so who knows how good it'll sound with a bit of work? Bring a screwdriver to the shop.

Going early with a fretless, a 5er, or even a fretless 5er is fine. No matter what your tool is, you're still going to have to work/practice hard to learn it -- and it will help to have a decent teacher. Just have fun on the journey.

I haven't played any of the Ibanez EDA basses, so I can't help you there. I have played other Ibanez basses and enjoyed them. I would like to take one of those ATK basses out for a spin one day...

However, don't buy just because we seem to like or dislike the model. Make sure you play the bass you're interested in and that you like how it sounds and how it feels. Maybe we'll confirm any doubts you have, or maybe we'll strengthen your preferences about the instrument. If you've played one, or have a chance to, you can even ask us more specific questions about things you liked or disliked about the bass in question.

Enjoy!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ive actually played one of these at a local shop and it sounded fine, what struck me was the weight factor.

I have a Fender jp-90 and playing around with that little ibanez felt about like a telecaster in comparison.

Not that weight makes a big difference just had a hard time convincing myself that i could get a good tone out of something that light.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Archived