Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good locations for Bass tablature?

Griffinator

I'm working with a cover band that's doing a lot of this new shite (Staind, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, etc) and Olga is just nowhere for bass tabs of this junk. I'm sure the band versions have pretty mind-numbingly simple bass lines, but I'd still like to be able to do it right... Any ideas for good bass tab sites?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tab crawler bit the dust about 8 months ago if i recall.

It was too bad because the forum over there was where i read all the newbie questions before i came here to try a little bit deeper conversation.

------

findley

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Matt - Indeed, there really is no difference in quality of tabs, but it seems that Olga has deteriorated into a hack guitarist repository, and bass tabs for the new stuff are almost impossible to come by over there - plenty of ChordPro and GT's - no BT's...

Good location for bass tabulature. Well, try: Up Someone's Bum. Seriously. I'm not talking the standard tab vs notation debate {but now that I've mentioned it ; } - but you claim "I'd still like to be able to do it right".

Well, which is it? - do it right? - or use tab? Because I've looked at so much of this stuff and even simple stuff tends to be WRONG WRONG WRONG. So it's got me in the position of not being able to trust any other bass tab because most of the guys who seem to transcribe it are really really deaf. I don't understand why you would place any confidence in someone else you've never met whose quality of work has not been validated.

If someone wants to do something right, what's the old adage?: do it yourself! No kidding. If the material is supposedly simple this should be no stretch for you, right? And if it is a bit of a stretch, that means you probably need it.

I should probably temper what I've said. Some of that type of material makes it hard to always get every single note beyond a shadow of a doubt because of murk from low-tuned guitars, faint synthbass overdubs to shore things up, sonic murk.

But if you transcribe/learn from your own efforts it will help you understand the actual song structure which is a big aid in playing music.

There have been instances where I've covered material that nobody has provided a recording of though, where my SOP has been to find as many tabs (guitar and/or bass) as I can and that usually tells me who is more right because some of the better guitar tabs will be involved enough and also have chords named.

I guess in those cases I feel that doing it WRONG my way beats doing it wrong somebody else's ; }

Yeah, the tabs are pretty wrong a lot of the time- I think that can be attributed to newbies transcribing a standard song with a bass 1/2 step down or vice versa. Not a big deal in higher (thumb)positions, but in open, first and second positions, the difference can make things weird.

As far as natation goes, if somebody can't tab a song correctly, I sure don't want to read their version in staff (hmmm... last I checked there weren't 5 quarter notes on a measure of 4/4).

Let tabs guide you on your way to learning a song. Chances are that they will have the rights roots, at the very least. Use the tablature as basic guide and fill in everything for yourself. Do this for a while and you will develop the skill and ear to not need the tab "crutch" anymore. (but do yourself a favor and try to notate it for yourself in staff rather than tab)

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by greenboy:

But if you transcribe/learn from your own efforts it will help you understand the actual song structure which is a big aid in playing music.

There have been instances where I've covered material that nobody has provided a recording of though, where my SOP has been to find as many tabs (guitar and/or bass) as I can and that usually tells me who is more right because some of the better guitar tabs will be involved enough and also have chords named.

I guess in those cases I feel that doing it WRONG my way beats doing it wrong somebody else's ; }

Most of this new stuff I would never waste money buying, and I still have issues with downloading mp3's. Not having a copy means resorting to tablature.

What I typically find with tabs is that it gives me a good enough idea how the song works to be able to fill the innacurate parts in.

Sure, tablature is a hit-and-miss proposition (unless the person who wrote it tabbed it out) but this new "rock" has a tendency to be so utterly simple that even a halfwit can tab it out with a high degree of accuracy...

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Most of this new stuff I would never waste money buying, and I still have issues with downloading mp3's. Not having a copy means resorting to tablature.

What I typically find with tabs is that it gives me a good enough idea how the song works to be able to fill the innacurate parts in.

Sure, tablature is a hit-and-miss proposition (unless the person who wrote it tabbed it out) but this new "rock" has a tendency to be so utterly simple that even a halfwit can tab it out with a high degree of accuracy...

Have the band make you a CD or tape of all the songs that they want to do and then you can just learn them by ear. They should be willing to do this for you if you don't have the music yourself. Tabs are evil (and usually very incorrect). Training your ear by figuring it out yourself is good for you! Besides, all the songs I've heard by the groups that you mentioned have mind-numbingly simple song arrangements... even if you've never worked out a song by ear before, you shouldn't have too much trouble with those.

just my $.02

-B

Case in point, and i would like to point out that i hate to downtune unless absolutely necessary.

I figured out how to play system of a down's ariels just for kicks friday night.

Had to tune my e string down a bit but thats ok.

I dont mind tuning one down, but i get pissy after that.

Out of curiosity i went to the bass tab archive and looked at it after i saw youre post here.

The guy tabbed it in C G C F tuning.

Damn what a headache that would be.

And he had it set up where you had to jump up to the 10th fret on youre a string (now g according to him) half a dozen times....My question is WHY?

Point is I agree with all of these more experienced guys, but its taken me about a year and a half of playing before i could kick the crutch. And i still look every now and then to try to confirm suspicions or just cut down on the amount of time it would take for a difficult song.

its pretty freakin obvious i wasnt an english major isnt it

:thu:

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

believe me, I'm a guitarist by trade, and I typically do all my own transcribing on guitar. Bass is a different animal for me, as I'm not accustomed to isolating (within my own ears) the basslines from the rest of the mix.

Ah well, no better time than the present :)

Archived