Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Bass players you should know of REGARDLESS of your age...

deanmass

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont actually know the guys names but the bassist from the Smiths and Steely Dan.

Just listen to William it was really nothing or

This Charming Man from the Smiths and you'll see what i mean.

For Steely Dan i would have to point to Deacon Blue.

Ive even been considered a fan of dave ellefson or however you spell it from megadeth.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Originally posted by Mike Findley:

I dont actually know the guys names but the bassist from the Smiths and Steely Dan.

Ive even been considered a fan of dave ellefson or however you spell it from megadeth.

Well, if you don't know the bassist from Steely Dan, but have the ear to appreciate it, you are a quite advanced listener.

Of course, the bassist from Steely Dan is my former teacher, the afore-mentioned Chuck Rainey. While he didn't play all of the bass on their output, he did play on Deacon Blue, and that entire album: "Aja" An absolute must have album for bass groove.

Andy Rourke, from the Smiths, has been documented often. I can't tell you I know much about him...but I believe he was replaced...something about drugs. Others more up on that group could add the truth.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Well, if you don't know the bassist from Steely Dan, but have the ear to appreciate it, you are a quite advanced listener.

Of course, the bassist from Steely Dan is my former teacher, the afore-mentioned Chuck Rainey. While he didn't play all of the bass on their output, he did play on Deacon Blue, and that entire album: "Aja" An absolute must have album for bass groove.

Andy Rourke, from the Smiths, has been documented often. I can't tell you I know much about him...but I believe he was replaced...something about drugs. Others more up on that group could add the truth.

Walter Becker played bass on Deacon Blues. Chuck Rainey played all of the rest of the songs on Aja.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Walter Becker played bass on Deacon Blues. Chuck Rainey played all of the rest of the songs on Aja.
Yeah, I realized that. A little too late. But it made such a fine story.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

quote:

Oh.

Originally posted by greenboy:

quote:

quote:

Oh.

yeah...

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh.

yeah...

I just love the nested quote thing.

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh.

yeah...

I just love the nested quote thing.

Yeah, it's real useful for communicating the essential details without any dross.

I figure another five years with email and on forums, people will be doing face2face where they repeat everything from the start of the conversation onwards to the other person before replying or nodding head yeigh or neigh ; }

Yeah, it's real useful for communicating the essential details without any dross.

I figure another five years with email and on forums, people will be doing face2face where they repeat everything from the start of the conversation onwards to the other person before replying or nodding head yeigh or neigh ; }

So...what exactly are you saying (Sorry I missed the beginning of this conversation)? :P

I have no homepage.

It's kind of ironic that this thread got so long after I've been given crap about asking for opinions about what THE BEST is. :confused: I don't recall who it was but one of y'all told me that there is no such thing as the best in music, and I must say that since then I totally agree. Anyway I can't help to think that this thread was meant to be like the Mississippi. I mean you when you get into a discussion about who the best is your bound to be in for a 12 rounder. Anyway I'm glad to see all this entusism in here. That's why I love this forum. :thu:

I got turned onto bass playing by Robert DeLeo on STP's first two albums. Nothing fancy but a bit different from what I was used to hearing in the early 90s.

Does it hurt?

Only when I'm awake.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I don't think this has ever been about "The best", certainly shouldn't of been.

That's BS. Best what? Timing, ear, tone, technique(pure BS - btw)......

How bout - The guy that's never heard the tune, learns it by ear, or off a bar napkin, in five minutes and cuts an amazing track. Listen to every CD ya own and tell me who's done that. YOU DON'T KNOW.

I'd hoped this was about players and styles that changed the way we all think about the instrument. People that ADDED to the vocabulary.

Well, if you can't put your head in a pre '76 place you'll never know what Jaco did. By '78 8,000 cats had taken what they could and run with it. "Oh, that mid-rangey fretless thing...we all do it, nuthin' special". Like those, sad and sorry guitarists, that don't know how much they owe to Hendrix.

Dozens of other players and dates can be plugged in instead of Jaco. People who changed things. Not the fastest, freakiest or whatever. Certainly not the slappinest, tappinest or most removed from the original function of the instrument(God help us when the drummers are left to keep time).

I rant. A appologize.

D.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Hungate was the original bassist for Toto and a top LA studio guy...his parts on Boz Skagg's records are enough to put him "in the hall of fame". He got tired of the rock and roll and LA lifestyle and moved to Nashville where he became a top Nashville studio guy.

Phil Upchurch also played on George Benson's "Breezin".

Thanks for the clarification on Toto. I always liked their older stuff. ;) I knew that Phil Upchurch played on Breezin but his work on Earth Tones is pretty impressive to me. Maybe it's just the way that the entire song comes together....

It is from Blues that all that may be called American music derives it's most distinctive characteristics.

-James Weldon Johnson

Archived