Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Surprise string listening test

g.

Broke a B string tonight on my fretless. Taper core. Been on the bass maybe over a year and a half. Boiled it last month because it had lost brightness enough to make it not such a tonal match. But the boil change really didn't last all that long so I think that's not something I'm going to waste time on in the future. At least with B strings on a compress-wound set (Smith Compressors).

So I replaced it with a backup from my string experimentation days when I first got this bass four and some years ago, a Smith Slick (ground wound). It's .130 instead of .125 tapercore. So its got more tension, and less going on above the first few overtones. So, a new set goes on in the next couple of days...

Interesting how that one string did not only have a different tonality, but also made my bass sound slightly changed on the rest of the strings (this is something I can't hear as well on my other cabs but on my Ampeg Extreme it is pretty obvious). So. I guess what I've mentioned in the past about changing the tension slightly on the neck can indeed move the resonant peaks around enough to revoice it and maybe even minimize or accentuate dead spots.

And now I'm again aware of that. Nothing like an unexpected listening test.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<     but don't worry - I've still got 'air on my g string

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed that when I started using taper wounds. I don't play a 5, but I did notice a brighter sound with more presence. Of course, I play really aggressively and the Taper wounds break easier for me, so it's a trade-off--better sound for shortened string life. I'm working on lightening up my touch, though, for clearer articulation and less amp farts. It's a lot easier to lighten my touch on a more powerful rig and quieter drummer.

I play generally with a lighter touch than what I used when I started out. Though sometimes at gigs I can get pre-tty wild. One benefit of lighter touch is that it lets tapping, 'nails use and other techniques have about the same amplitude as standard fingerstyle - and it breaks less 'nails ; }

But when I am writing patches for multieffects preamps I tend to go from a whisper to a full-on bash-out, especially when finalizing the volume of a patch. I try to store all patches so they have approximately the same level when driving all gain stages to max. That way I make full use of headroom without going beyond it.

...Anybody try Dave Wyre\'s strings yet?

I really want to try out the TI powerbass strings... Now since I'm playing a 4 stringer, I might be able to afford it! :D Maybe I'll check out those strings you mentioned GB... Now that I'm an official "hobbiest" I'm in no hurry to make sure my sound is solid before a gig...

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

I haven't experimented with string guages yet...I'm worried about going against the maufactuars suggested gauges...Are these (roundwound 45-120, I think) Gospel, would it damage the bass, would adjustment of the truss rod be required ? I've read a couple of the "truss rod, hell stories" here and I wouldn't wanna write one myself.

I've tried the string boiling trick a coupla' times myself Greenboy. It brightens them up, but only in the short term! How long are you supposed to boil them for? I've tried 10 minutes and 20 minutes, the longer you leave them in, the better and brighter they are.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

By all means, try different string gauges. The factory standards aren't the Gospel, that's why there are so many different types available. Experiment with different gauges, materials, types (taper wounds, roundwounds, flatwounds, etc..). Find the ones you like. You may find that the ones that came on your bass are the ones you like best. If so, great. I personally like a thicker gauge than most, and, depending on how much bigger, you may need to tweak the truss rod a little. It won't take much, though, so there isn't much to worry about crunching your neck.

My strings don't last long enough to try the boiling trick, so that's alien to me. I've heard to add baking soda to the water. I think it cleans the strings a little better, I don't really know.

With my playing style, I've been lucky enough to try many different types and brands of strings. The E and A don't last me 2 weeks, if I'm playing fairly regularly. I used to play 3-5 gigs a week and 3-4 practices, too, so I would be happy if strings lasted a week. Of course, they were free for me because I was in college and got the school to pay for them, whatever I wanted. I had blanket purchase orders at all the music stores and I was the only one authorized to sign them, other than the sponsor. Anyway, I've tried just about all of them and keep coming back to GHS Boomers. They're not the best, but, they sound good and last a while, so it's a trade-off. I would rather stick with the TI's, but they get to be expensive and no one here stocks them.

Originally posted by Cupmcmali:

I've tried the string boiling trick a coupla' times myself Greenboy. It brightens them up, but only in the short term! How long are you supposed to boil them for? I've tried 10 minutes and 20 minutes, the longer you leave them in, the better and brighter they are.

I leave mine in until the potatoes and carrots are done :)

We've all been there. You have a gig in a few hours, you're flat broke and your strings sound like doo doo. Oh what to do...boil em!

I like tomastik infields flatwound

they last about a week and a half but sound NICE... but yeah they are expensive so I'm only going to use them for recording... I dont really care how my bass sounds at practice (I mean I DO but not to the point of putting new strings on regularly...)

Dave

Remember that changes to tension can lead to movement of the neck. I put lower tension strings on and had to put relief in because the neck went flat.

I like the TI strings (they of the less tension noted above). They've held up very well. I got them mail order (www.bigcitystrings.com) with no problem.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, I just ordered the Wyre's there, because I didn't see the "powerbass" roundwound TI's... I don't need flats (I have a set of TI flats)... Do you know another online string site with which I might have more luck? :)

-Mark Twain

Go to the website and ask Kevin (who used to hang around once in a while). He helped me find a supplier...

John M. Connolly & Co. Inc.

Box 93, Northport, NY 11768

Toll Free 1-800-644-5268

www.thomastik-infeld.com

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanx guys! I'm glad just string listed the sizes, I don't think the TI's are big enough guages (my new project is tuned to C#)... oh well, I hope the Wyres sound good... I'll have to go back to that site and get some DR Lowbeams. the only place that sells them in Illinois is an hour away(G**tar Center)... Thanx again!

-Mark Twain

Has TI improved their B string for their flats? Last time I played a bass with them the B sounded like it belonged in some dull remedial set. Not even close. I've heard that comment elsewhere quite often as well.

Hey, greenboy, I'm using TI flats, the B string sounds well matched to me. Amazing how different basses (and playing styles) affect strings, the converse and complementary idea to your note how changing just one string affects basses. My TI flats have been used almost every day for a year, and still have that big piano sound. One of these months I'll have to get a new set, I suppose, just to do my part to keep the economy moving.

Ben,

Yeah, I also thought it was possible they reworked the B string since there were lots of these B-string complaints a couple years ago. And like you say, a bass, rig, and playing style makes a big difference too.

I'm about to revitalize the economy as well. I still have 2 sets of Smith Compressors, but since the only decently matched B string broke, I figured I'd try Foderas and/or Alembics CX-3 again as well since both are bright pressure wounds, which really meets my needs for varied effects use.

Archived