Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how many days do you gig?

JDL

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My old band had about 60 or so shows last year, but since we've been on hiatus, I've had absolutely zero gigs... But,I think I really needed the break to get my priorities in order and figure out what is important to me... Now it looks like well be jamming on weekends for fun and playing the occasional gig... thats enough for me :thu: ... I'm done with trying to be a "rock star" :D ...

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Dude I hear ya about being done with trying to be a rock star.My old band of which I was a member for 5 years, 3 of which I played every fryday and sat.I am between bands right now I would be alright with playing maybe 3 or 4 nights a month tops.

I voted for the "newbie" category because I just try to get whatever gigs are available. Being a teenager, some bands are weary of letting me play because of the experience factor, and my parents never are/were keen on me staying out all hours to play a gig. I just love playing, and will take whatever gigs i can.

I usually do between 175-200 dates a year, mostly one nighters, plus 10-20 studio sessions annually. Add in 90-100 days spent travelling to and from gigs, trade shows, business meetings and endorsement obligations and it doesn't leave a whole lot of time for anything else. Ah Hell, who needs free time anyway?
Later..................

Just remember 61p-bass, youll get enough rest when your dead... ;):D In a way, I'm envious, but does it ever become the opposite of what attracted you to playing? I think if I played bass for work, I might have to find another recreation for fun... I know if you treat it like a hiobby, you'll only have hobby success, but I think that is good enough for me at this point in my life... :D

-Mark Twain

The band I am in now has just stepped up gigging to two days a week. Friday and Saturdays with some Wednesdays tossed in for good measure. I couldn't really see doing more than that right now. I gave up being a rockstar a while ago as well. I must admit I am a bit envious of the folks on the board that have turned what they love into a carreer. I just can't afford to take any chances with income right now. Oh well.

Iaian

San Andreas,

The hope to save our nation by turning Las Vegas into a seaside community. ;)

Like most, we only gig when we can....(I've expressed my Belfast scene rumblings before) saying that we've gigged once a week fot the last month, but have no bookings at the mo'.... :( I'm thinking hard about the hobby approach, hobby success Jason...Must work harder !!

It all depends on what you want out of playing music Cupmcmali... :D If you want to have a good time, get lost in some music with your buds, and maybe earn a couple bucks(free beer/pounds/doichemarks, etc.) you CAN treat it like a hobby. BUT, if you want more from playing, then it deserves alot more respect, energy and focus... I'm happy with playing hard rock with my buddies for fun at this point in my life. [And if you listen to the MP3 at the link on my signature, you can hear that we're not too shabby. The stuff we're doing now, is a bit more mature/tame/talented/slower, but the link will give you an idea of how my buds(and I)play...] I just got a promotion @ my dayjob that will pay me about $20/hr... With my future wife in mind, I have to mature a bit and put my priorities in order(somewhat-see the wish list thread) :D .But then again I'm only 27(b-day nov16), and I have my whole life ahead of me, so who knows what the hell will happen... :thu:

-Mark Twain

For a youngn' JDL you oughtta be a bit more optomistic! :D Sure lifes' not all roses, but @14 y/o you should be LIVIN' it up! :D And I know, I'm an old fart comparitively, but at least I'm not 30 !!! :D;):P j/k

-Mark Twain

Hmm, well... when I was a teenager I used to gig 4-5 nights a week and made great money for my age. And it was great chop-building experience. But, like others have wondered about, when you make a living at it, it does become different, more like a job. And frankly it burned me out after a short time because I had other musical goals, not just full time gigging.

I find it a little disheartening that some people feel you can either make music your "hobby" or be a "pro" and that if you treat it as a "hobby" you'll only have hobby success. I see this attitude too often. Either people want to be "rock stars," or make a living, or else it's "just" a hobby.

Music is my life, but I don't make all of my living from it anymore, precisely BECAUSE I take it seriously (not saying full time pros aren't serious! Only that it wasn't working for my own purposes). My success in music doesn't depend on how much money I make from it, rather it depends on how successful I am creatively - whether I can die saying I've made the MUSIC I wanted to make, and moved people with it (even if only a small number of people). I put a LOT of time into music, between songwriting, recording, gigging, and promoting my band. It's way more than "just a hobby," even if I never make another dime from it.

Well,Jason, I was kind of joking but it doesn't matter. Actually, when I posted that I was thinking of a video I saw of an "out-of-body" experience of a young person who came close to death. And when you said that, it just made me think of the video and she said the same thing before the experience. But, actually I'm a very optimistic person, I always look forward to best I can. Trust me, I'm having fun playing with 4 bands and 2 orchestras, I know I gotta enjoy the time now. By the way, Jason, what happened, why did you change your avatar?

JDL-"livin it up"

Iaian said it perfectly for me, in that I'm only doing weekends, so two nites a week. When I lived across the state, I was working among 3 bands, so it was about 2 to 5 times a week. I really haven't had that 'star' aspiration in many years, and am very content just having fun gigs on the weekends.

We are on break right now, as one of our guitarists is having some surgery this week, so I'm off for about two months. Don't really know too many musicians, due to moving here recently, so will be checking out jam nites and handing out some business cards, which by the way, come in handy for quick contacts with other musicians. Get some made, if you haven't already. Very inexpensive.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I find it a little disheartening that some people feel you can either make music your "hobby" or be a "pro" and that if you treat it as a "hobby" you'll only have hobby success. I see this attitude too often. Either people want to be "rock stars," or make a living, or else it's "just" a hobby.

Sorry ma'm, but I have to disagree with you here. Keep in mind, that there is no shame in having a hobby that "speaks to you", or that you are passionate about... I write songs and lyrics that I feel very passionately about, and try to the best of my ability to give them quality and meaning, as well as groove... I strive to get the best sound I can from my gear and technique, and be professional about gigs/shows... Success is indeed a subjective term, and how each person measures it, is entirely an opinion unto themselves. However, if you are going to measure "success" in terms of hit albums, or high profile gigs, you will NOT get there by playing at the Greasy Spoon every third tuesday of the month. You need to put in the legwork, practice, and devote yourself to that goal, so that other players in those positions can respect you and work with you on that level... And only then maybe if you can catch a break or three, you'll "arrive"...
Originally posted by JDL: By the way, Jason, what happened, why did you change your avatar?

I'm being slightly "passive agressive" :D Actually, I was listening to "Famous Monsters", and was thinking how Jerry Only doesn't get the respect as a bass player that he should... the avatar's a bit big though, so I might change it again.... By the way, do you play bass in the orchestra(s)?

-Mark Twain

This year I've only done a handful of gigs. Last year I did 126 gigs with a T-40 band and I pretty much got burned out. I left the band in January and was playing with my old blues band when I slipped a disk. That put my out from June to October - that was a bummer, couldnt do anything. I did try to do one gig with the blues band and it went ok, but I was loaded with meds.

I'm hopping to get back into the scene soon because not playing is KILLING me!

ikestr

...hertz down low....

I agree with Lee :D

Jason, did you know that Jerry Only pays his

bills by running the family machine shop/factory

not by doing "The Misfits"? I have done live

recording with the boys and known them since

the early 80's. I used to fix Jerry's Raggedy

Ass Acoustic 360s all the time :freak:

Surely wouldn't call "The Misfits" a hobby...

My term for devotion to music for a way of life if

not a living is "avocation".

Hobby has too many derogatory connotations

and is inaccurate for most folks as it is not

done as a relaxation or diversion but as

an OBSESSION :cool:

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

unless you need the overtime.

Yes, I've played/playing bass in orchestra. I've played electric basss in orchestra for the time being only because my teacher/conductor didn't have the upright that was supposed to be fixed. But, it is almost fixed now. So when it is I must shed my knowledge on electric and adopt acoustic bass. No, this doesn't mean I'm quiting electric. Actually, I have to practice on my electric and then play upright at the practice and performance. Of course, I also sing and play viola(in a seperate orchestra) It is pretty confusing, I started out in the orchestra playing bass, but like a year-and-a-half later my teacher asked me to start playing bass for the orchestra(because she knew that I had a band and played electric). The bassist already in the orch. can't go on competition, I don't know why. But, I have been called to upright, so I must learn the parts.

JDL :freak:

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

Success is indeed a subjective term, and how each person measures it, is entirely an opinion unto themselves. However, if you are going to measure "success" in terms of hit albums, or high profile gigs, you will NOT get there by playing at the Greasy Spoon every third tuesday of the month. You need to put in the legwork, practice, and devote yourself to that goal, so that other players in those positions can respect you and work with you on that level

I agree. But I wouldn't consider myself CREATIVELY successful either, if all I did was play at the Greasy Spoon every third Tuesday. I fully devote myself to music anyhow, put in the legwork, the networking/promotional time, the practice, and doing whatever it takes to find and work with the people I consider the best.

What I'm saying though is that I don't NEED the incentive of "money" or "stardom" to do this, and in fact I shy away from a lot of the headaches and creative compromises that go with the desire for money and/or fame.

...I don't NEED the incentive of "money" or "stardom" to do this, and in fact I shy away from a lot of the headaches and creative compromises that go with the desire for money and/or fame.

That's a great outlook, one I think a lot of us have. Being consumed by the "need" for commercial success often times does sidetrack what one has originally envisioned in the artistic process.

That said, music is my only means of income. It's a choice I made a long time ago because I simply love being onstage, in the studio or in my basement working on new material. Most of my money comes from playing exactly the way someone else laid it down in the studio, or what someone has written for me to record so someone ELSE can duplicate vit onstage. It's not for the most part creative, but I still love doing it, and I'm damned good at it. I look at THAT as my day gig, and try to be as diligent about advancing my position as I would if I were a corporate executive. It's not always fun, but what day job is? You learn to take the good with the bad and leave it "at the office" when the show is over.

I also ALWAYS have an original project or two going as a creative outlet. The great thing about playing commercially is that I probably have tenfold the contacts (players, agents, studios, backers, endorsements, etc.) that I would had I not been networking in the business for the last 25 years. In those projects the joy of the music comes first. Any success, no matter how limited is icing on the cake.

It's a balancing act for sure, but I have yet to slip off the tightrope.......

Later..................

I looked in my 2002 date book and my years end total is right around 60 shows.

That has been my average over the past few years.

In 1998 I was living in Florida and playing 4 to 5 nights a week.

A combination of T 40 bar gigs / private club dates / trips down to Fla to perform with my brother and two pc acoustic shows with Jennifer Vasquez makes up most of my schedule...

They come in clusters and I can go a few weeks without performing and then have 4 shows in a row....

I consider myself very fortunate to be living in Metro NYC area and maintain a decent live music schedule

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by groucho:

My term for devotion to music for a way of life if

not a living is "avocation".

Hobby has too many derogatory connotations

and is inaccurate for must folks as it is not

done as a relaxation or diversion but as

an OBSESSION :cool:

Thats DEFINITELY a better way to put it... :thu: I knew that about him and Doyle. That actually factored in part of my reasoning for easing back the throttle on my playing a bit. (I love those all graphite basses too) :D

And Lee, I agree with your views of creative success. Its the greatest thing in the world to have a crowd of people validate your personal creation(s). That feedback is what makes creating music a fullfulling experience. Maybe a better way to phrase my point would be "If you treat it like an avocation, you'll only get avocational PAY ! Money or fame isn't always the goal, but recognition and validation probably are. Money is just an obvious form of it. I admire guys like 61Pbass(and hope to learn more from guys like him as I grow musically), but I couldn't do that job. I like recreational bass playing. It keeps my escape pod open, and my heartstrings maleable... Thats what works for me. Its my outlet. :)

JDL, I am highly jealous. I have been jonesing for an URB for about two years now. :eek: Don't trade one for the other. Learn to play them both well... :thu:

-Mark Twain

Well, Jason, what are you jealous of again? Are you jealous that I play in orch. and band? Please explain the last part of your post above me. I am going to learn both well so that I can expand my musical horizon. Um, my computer just ate the rest of my post, wierd :freak: Do you play both upright and electric?

JDL

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

[qb]in fact I shy away from a lot of the headaches and creative compromises that go with the desire for money and/or fame.

Interesting. I shy away from the headaches and compromises that come from the "artistic" endeavors.

I would much rather: Hang with my band buds, look at some skirt, drink a couple Crown and Coke's, marvel at the awesome sound of my rig, (not my playing) play some Skynyrd and Brown Eyed Girl,

take my money and go the hell home.

I did that about 300 times last year.

Archived