Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there a Ric expert in the house?

Mudbass

I have very little experience with Rickenbackers, infact, I've never paid them much attention at all. Lately though, I've been getting horny as hell for the sound that only a Ric can make and I'm thinking seriously of buying one in a few months.

What are the differences between the 4001 and the 4003? I've heard the 4001 has a thinner neck than the 03, is this so? What are the + and - of each and which do you prefer?

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a vintage Ric 4001, or a vintage reissue, it will have a "toaster" pickup in the neck position & a "horseshoe" pickup in the bridge position. Mono output Rics have dot inlays, typically; mono + stereo (Ric-o-Sound) Rics have triangles. What are the differences? Basically, Ric changed from 4001 to 4003 when they redesigned the truss rod system to make the neck stiffer; & that's really about it. (It's not even 100% clear why they changed model numbers at all.)

Don't expect to pick up a Ric, any Ric, and expect it to sound like Chris Squire automatically. The different sounds people get out of the Ric depend a lot on outboard, playing style, amp, signal processing, etc. BUT there does lurk within a Ric a sound that is really the "signature" Ric sound. Also, keep an open & mind an experiment to get a lot of different sounds from it.

One thing I recommend is removing the capacitor between the pickup switch & the neck pickup volume pot, & replace it with straight wire. This evens out the output of the two pickups and, imho, really opens up more interesting tonal possibilities as you work with it.

Don't pay much more than $1000 for a new one.

I agree with what dcr said, and would add that not all RICs have the capacitor he spoke of removing. I seem to recall these are only present in the 4001s with a Horseshoe p/u in the bridge position. At any rate, these are identified by the bridge p/u having a lower volume than the neck p/u.

P.S. Here's a GREAT RIC site for info:

www.rickresource.com

There's THE best RIC forum on this site! ENJOY!!!

I think the main difference is that the 4003 has an improved truss rod. 4001 necks were originally designed to be used with flatwounds (which were all that existed at the time). Roundwounds exert a LOT more tension on the neck and when people started putting roundwounds on 4001's they tended to screw up the neck in a hurry. So Ric responded to this by using a totally different truss road design in the 4003. They also added a truss rod adjuster - first at the body and then at the headstock.

Early 4003's also used to have a 2 piece pickguard but then they went back to the one piece like the 4001. The two models sound and play virtually alike - although both models have had their variances.

Ohh, I've a Ric 4003 but definitely wouldn't use the word EXPERT.....about anything, especially music :freak: I never even knew the history...!

But I'd definitely recommend a ric to anyone. They're great ! Why ? Cos it looks great, plays great and sounds great...I've never been one for specifics...You get the picture? :freak::D

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Orginally posted by Hoagie:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

warning -- newbie question below

whos chris squire? and who did he play with?

Hehe

Sorry,

Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He (Chris Squire) played with a band called "YES" if I remember correctly. The tune I hear most often on the radio here is "Roundabaout".

"Owner of a Lonely (maybe Broken, not sure) Heart", anyone? Yeah, a good 80s synth song, but good nonetheless. I think momma has Talk , so I might have to 'borrow' it. Anywho, I've not played a Ric, but would sure like to. And no more than $1000 for a new one? I thought they ran around $1500 at least. Wow, shows where I'm at in the world.

New Rics tend to sell around 1100, 1500 something is the list price.

I would look for an older Ric. For all practical purposes they are the same. I had a

'99 4003 with a faulty neck. Ric did squat to fix it, so the dealer ate it and gave me a credit which I used to get a '79 4001. I say get the older ones because they are broken in, and the value will increase sooner. '70's modles can be had for the same, or less, than a new one, it depends on each bass. I paid 1150 for the new one and 1100 for the '79, but it is a rare color with virtually no damage (even has original pup cover).

Other than that, you'll love a Ric!

Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

warning -- newbie question below

whos chris squire? and who did he play with?

Hehe

Sorry,

Dave

Sign me up for the geezer patrol. Christopher Squire. I'm not sure I would be a bass player if not for the high-performance bass of Mr. Squire. Pick up a Yes album . . . er . . . CD . . . er mp3 (gee, I am getting old) titled "Drama." At that stage, he was playing lead for the band -- it just happened to be on bass.

But, as dcr said, you have to alter the signal between the Ric and the output to get some of his sounds.

My second bass was a 70 - 71 4001. Great bass. Good look and feel and some interesting tones. But I have to agree that it should be a second bass. Unless your playing a very specific sort of music it just won't cut it.

Besides dealing with the capacitor I'd also recomend swapping out the bridge. The ric design is just silly. I'm a player not a collector though. But this is a reversable mod. Anyway, once you get a schaler or a badass on there a lot of possibilities open up.

D.

Originally posted by Mudbass:

How's life in the mosh pit over at Harmony Central?

Pretty crazy, as usual. :cool:

Have you not been there lately?

Tch tch? Why, what's wrong with Rics?
Nothing, of course. You should have known who to ask is all. ;)

Apologies to all for my omission of the obligatory mantra from my previous posts about Rickenbackers:

Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies

Just keep saying it until you feel better. Seems to help a lot of people.

There are plenty of corollaries to that mantra, DCR. Lots of brand names of basses and rig toys can be inserted. Makes it easy to know what to do when acquiring gear as long as one hasn't heard conflicting versions ; }

Has anyone ever heard of a Ric copy? I had a 'Ric' about 15 yrs ago but wasn't convinced it was a 'real' one. I got it cheap from a guy who traded axes like changing underwear. The trussrod cover didn't have the Ric emblem and I was told that it was lost and this one was made to replace it. It was a beautiful axe witb the body and fretboard bindings and triangle inlays. It just didn't say Rickenbacker anywhere on it. The neck was shot and I got rid of it a few years later. I recently came across a '65 mono with the same checkered binding and similar features that mine did and they wanted 2600 for it. My first thought was "Oh my, what have I done?" Did I really have a Ric or not? Now my son wants one in a bad way. It must run in the family. Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any cheap copies ever made along the way.
Is that a real song or did you make that up?

Originally posted by Banta:

Originally posted by Mudbass:

How's life in the mosh pit over at Harmony Central?

Pretty crazy, as usual. :cool:

Have you not been there lately?

Tch tch? Why, what's wrong with Rics?
Nothing, of course. You should have known who to ask is all. ;)
I still post on the Live Sound board over there, but I gave up posting on the Bass board some time ago. It's gotten too silly and too political. I think the last straw was when one of the moderators (no names mentioned) started posting controversial topics out of the freekin newspaper and throwing more fuel on the fire. That's not why I go to a Bass board. I post over at Talk Bass...I know, they tend to get a bit snooty over there, but at least they answer my posts. Over 3,000 posts at Harmony Central and nobody even noticed I'm missing. And I discovered this board which is pretty cool, except greenboy already hates my guts cause I don't like Carvin. Wait til I tell him I don't like Hartke either :P

Originally posted by churchboyroy:

The trussrod cover didn't have the Ric emblem and I was told that it was lost and this one was made to replace it.

Don't ever believe a lie like that. There is absolutely no legitimate reason for a "Ric" to be without the truss rod cover nameplate or the jackplate with serial number.

I guarantee it was a copy.

A dead giveaway that you've got a copy is if it has a bolt-on neck (as e.g. the Ibanez copies did). Also, a pretty good giveaway is if a person who deals in musical instruments is willing to let an extremely valuable instrument go for a song, because it's missing an easily replaceable part!

Originally posted by dcr:

[QB]

Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies Rickenbacker basses are one trick ponies

QB]

That's OK, I'm just a one trick bassist.

Originally posted by dcr:

A dead giveaway that you've got a copy is if it has a bolt-on neck (as e.g. the Ibanez copies did). Also, a pretty good giveaway is if a person who deals in musical instruments is willing to let an extremely valuable instrument go for a song, because it's missing an easily replaceable part!

Absolutely! However, there were actually some decent Ric copies made, some neck-thru, a few even having dual truss rods and nearly identical hardware. There is always some telling abnormality that can be easily identified by someone knowledgable with Rics. If you're not sure it's real, don't buy it.

In the late 70s, a friend had a Univox copy of a RIC bass that was quite good. I even bought one of the pickups (direct from Univox) and put it on my Gibson EB3 (talk about mixing metaphors).

As to the one-trick thing, I don't see it (though I know dcr is breaking our chops with that). When I play them in stores I can get more than one sound...

Now to extend the "who is Chris Squire" thing. For those who used the term "geezer" - do you know a bassist (nick-)named Geezer?

Years ago (the 70s) I saw kids looking thru the racks at a music store and heard one say "hey - look - did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?". It's all perspective !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived