Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Righty or Lefty?

TKE96

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Another lefty who plays righty.

Wally

Forsaking your lefty ways??

Us lefty's are a special breed... from birth forced to live in a righty world, to use rightly scissors, drive righty cars and use righty can openers! But to play righy bass? Shameful! Be proud of your leftyness! Do as Ned Flanders did and open a Leftytorium! (how cool was that lefty car Mr. Burns wanted?) I may have only had one lefty bass to tool with that the NYC get together (and that was after a special request) but Im standing tall with my bizarre lefty ways.

Leftys...stand up and stand proud.

4 weeks on bass. 2 weeks on righty..then my new teacher told me no way no how. The dear people at musicians friends took my righty bass back and I got a second hand lefty Carvin (dude, its sweeeet). Its lefty from here to eternity! (Lefty, female AND a singer.. Im so rare I dont even need to be any good! ;)

-Idnarb the left handed pirate with a left handed radical cause!

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

I am righthanded and always will be.

However, I can play a left handed bass turned upside down (so that means right-handed upside down), and I can also play a right handed bass turned upside down (which means left-handed upside down).

I guess sometimes I am too bored and have too much time on my hands (both left and right).

Carvin seems to be one of the better companies at offering lefty choices without charging more for it. They live in a strange land between factory and luthiery with their custom shop concept. Plenty of wood options and finishes and so on for lefties also! Wow - what a concept!

Originally posted by greenboy:

Carvin seems to be one of the better companies at offering lefty choices without charging more for it. They live in a strange land between factory and luthiery with their custom shop concept. Plenty of wood options and finishes and so on for lefties also! Wow - what a concept!

And Greenboy takes another check from Carvin to the bank!! ;):D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'm in as another lefty who plays right handed,

I also drum right handed, but can only seem to play piano left handed ..........????

I can play simple stuff left handed on bass, but trying to get that right hand to make a chord on a G*#*tar just doesn't work ! I guess when you first start out, both ways are difficult & I actually believe having my strong hand on the neck helped me from the get go.

I kinda feel bad for lefthanded players

when they don't have their instrument at a Jam

or Sit-in occasion - etc....

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

I could be wrong about this - but I believe Steve

Morse and Glenn Campbell - two players famed for

their speed and articulation, may get it from the

fact they are lefties who play righty. The idea

being there is a perverse advantage in having the

dominant hand on the fretboard :D

Anybody know about some of the bass luminaries

of our time? ( as in lefty playing righty)

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

unless you need the overtime.

Originally posted by Idnarb:

Lefty, female AND a singer.. Im so rare I dont even need to be any good! ;) [/QB]

*ahem* Not THAT rare. Though I don't sing. But rock on sistah friend, us lefties are the only ones in our right mind! (Ugh, someone had to say it!)

:wave:

J

Julie

On special occasions, I have been known to play my bass with all sorts of directionally ambiguous appendages and the occasional beer bottle/can... ;):D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

I'm a righty who plays lefty. After playing guitar righty for a number of years an injury to my left arm/hand, with some nerve damage, made that impossible. I subsequently learned to play guitar lefty, then bass, now fiddle. I used to think that was a big accomplishment until I found out how many lefties play righty!

I'm still pretty happy that I can do it...

I'm a lefty and proud! Some years ago I tried to fight biology and began playing righty g****r. But I seriously couldn't even begin to get my head round that and soon switched to lefty.

I'm currently playing a cheap nasty righty bass restrung and set up for a lefty. The balance is all wrong, the headstock keeps nose-diving for the floor and I end up having to continually push down on the body with my plucking forearm. It's not good, but finances determine it'll have to do for now.

Actually, if I'm honest I can't really play lefty OR righty.... but I'm working on it.

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

I learned righty and am darned glad I did, considering the limited amount of left handed instruments that are easily accessible/fairly priced. I'm actually ambidexterous, so I could have gone either way, and can play left handed when the need arises, say at a jam where the house bassist is a lefty. Most lefties I know just learned to play right handed. A few learned on right handed instruments flipped upside down (ala Keith Horne - his signature model Warrior 6 is a left handed bass strung right handed) and fewer still actually learned on lefty instruments.
Later..................

Chad, you are the perfect guy to answer this

question - did you find an increase/decrease

or no difference in your dexterity on the fret

board when you learned to play lefty instead

of righty? ( now that your dominant hand is

doing the fingering)

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

unless you need the overtime.

It's hard to say, Groucho, because in the interim between righty and lefty guitar I learned to play trumpet and also learned some theory, so that I approached the fingerboard differently when I did come back and played/play all over the fingerboard rather than some favorite "grip" positions (see also old maple Strat necks where the finish is worn off in two or three favorite places).

I DID find I have to tap my left foot now rather than my right when I'm playing, tapping my right screws me all up.

I'd have to say that all in all I noted no change in dexterity between left and right, though I was always able to do more with my left hand than some others, like spinning two lugnuts off a car wheel at the same time. I do believe in this regard the biggest obstacle to our doing more is mental; I believed for five years that it wasn't possible to switch before I discovered that of course it is...

Archived