Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We all want what we acctually can have!

DarthPark

I was in my local musicstore last weekend. My friend works there and when we stood there talking came an old man through the door. I would guess he was about 80 years old. He said that he would like to see a Gibson ES-355 guitar(ok I know I shouldn´t use bad language but I have a point). He played on a couple the guitar and decided to buy it. He paid it cash and went to the door really happy. Before he left he said:

"I have wanted this guitar all my life but I never bought it, until now. Don´t know why I din´t get it earlier".

I don´t think he is alone. We all do that. Don´t get the things we want but acctually can have.

Maybe not the story of the month but I thought about it a lot since it happened and just had to put it here.

*Dance to the Music*

*You know, it happens sometimes that people just explode- natural causes.*

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha!

I've gone and done the same thing. I picked up an ernie ball musicman 4 with matching headstock a few weeks back and havn't put it down since. I've wanted one for about 8 - 10 years.

Get what you want and you'll enjoy what you love even more!

Now I just need that damn mesa boogie powerhouse 1000 bass enclosure.....and the ampeg svt.....then i'll truly be happy :)

Check out my work in progress.

A friend sent me a story with the same point (different setting) a few days ago.

I think you have to respect the challenges that life throws at you. I wanted to have kids, and now I want them to go to college. If I didn't think that, I could have lots of toys. I don't regret it - I worked out a way to get something now.

Also, you have to respect yourself. No disrespect to bassists with many, but if you "need" 100 basses, you should learn the meaning of the word "want". But if there is one that you want, maybe there is a way you can get it. And do so before you are 80.

Three years ago, I told people in my family that I wanted another bass. At the time, I figured what I wanted would cost about $1000. My parents and in-laws said I should buy it now rather than wait. I guess they knew that there is always some other expense that comes up. They also knew that my wife and I focus our money on our family life and not on things for ourselves.

Thanks for sharing the story !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Actually, IMHO, one of the big reasons for the high price of vintage instruments is because of my generation (the baby boomers).

People that "always wanted" a pre-CBS whatever now just go out and buy it, whatever it costs.

I know a bunch of people who I would consider non-musicians (they are doctors, scientists, programmers...successful in their fields) who have instrument collections to die for.

Meanwhile, at the jr. high where I teach, nearly all the boys have basketball shoes which cost over $100. Some of them have a few pairs. But none of them have quality guitars.

So I guess it's a matter of priorities.

I also see a lot of people buy instruments that are "good enough" then they sell them and get one that's "better enough" and so forth. Every time they do it, they lose money.

Be sure what you want and go for it.

Yeah, when I got my first bass, all I wanted was a bass. I had in my wallet $300USD, which won't buy much by way of quality stuff. When I got that bass, I was happy that I had gotten one, but dissatisfied because I could have waited a few more weeks and gotten something a little more 'quality'.

Now, I enjoy that bass like nothing else. After I tore it up front to back and through and through, I won't put it down after I pick it up. Of course, I did get a straight up 5-string bass, and do enjoy that one a lot too. I just need to 'break it in' some. But anywho, I don't really spend money on things, especially for myself. If I'm out with my girlfriend on the other hand, I'll spend some money, even if she doesn't like it.

Peace.

This topic goes along with some concepts that I hold closely.

I'd rather regret an action than regret a NON-action.

I'd rather be broke and happy than rich and miserable.

When it comes to things like gear purchases, I have to say I'm pretty happy with my present set up. However, if there was, I'd get it somehow. I'd gladly do without something else to get what I want.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

What a great title for a post !! I read it wrong, came in and saw it was CAN not CAN'T. Cheered me up no end (or should that rrad cheered me up low end)

CupMcMali :)

Happinessisnowhere.happinessisnowhere.happiness is a dog with a bone or my girl with the phone.

All my life I wanted a corvette (the car). A couple of years ago I went out and bought one. I was so excited! I would go out to my garage and just look at it! I couldn't believe that I finally had a vette!

I sold it a couple of weeks ago. I didn't drive it much any more. A few months after I bought the vette I bought a Jeep Wringler. I like it better than the vette!

I'm glad that I bought the vette. If I hadn't owned one I'd still be wanting a corvette. I just had to get it out of my system. I wonder if it will be the same with the old man who bought the guitar that started this thread?

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

Archived