Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New band I'm playing with... and our first gig

(shhh... some of this hasn't been annouced yet, but it's a done deal, so I feel like I can say something about it now)

OK, so I was playing Bryan Beller's Taylor acoustic bass after the Keneally/Beller Taylor clinic in Seattle. He _insisted_ that I check it out. It is a wonderful instrument, and one day I may actually purchase one. I have known Bryan Beller for about 6-7 years now, this bit of information is important later in this message.

While Beller and I were talking, this guy Yogi (www.wonky.net) walks up to Bryan and I. Beller asked us, "do you two know each other?". Both of us responded with "no". He said something like, "oh, you guys really need to know each other. Brian here is an amazing bass player.. blah blah blah" (yeah, whatever Beller... wanker). He introduced us and this Yogi guy informs me that he is in need of a bass player so he can start performing his music live. I told him that I was available. We exchanged contact information.

A few days later I receive his CD "Any Raw Flesh?" in my mail. I listen. I am giddy. It's very much King's X meets Frank Zappa. I inform him that the idea of playing in his band is now the most important thing in my life. He is excited. I am excited.

So, earlier this week Yogi calls me while I'm at work. The beginning of our conversation went something like this:

Yogi: so, are you available to play on New Year's Eve?

Me: Yeah, none of my bands have a gig yet. What's up?

Yogi: Well, Mike Keneally asked me if we would open for him for their New Years Eve show. Chris G (drummer in the band) can do it and all I needed to do was check with you.

Me: Yeah, that most definately will work.

Rapped for a while longer and talked about working out rehearsal schedules and stuff... etc.

So, this band that I'm now playing with, who's music I enjoy more than sliced bread, is having our first gig on New Year's Eve... and we're opening for Mike Keneally.

I am beside myself with elation.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's your first gig? wow! groovy. i don't have anything cool like that until my second gig. we're playing d.j. red alerts invite-only-unless-you-win-tickets-on-the-radio birthday party at hammerstein ballroom in late november.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Bastid E:

that's your first gig? wow! groovy. i don't have anything cool like that until my second gig. we're playing d.j. red alerts invite-only-unless-you-win-tickets-on-the-radio birthday party at hammerstein ballroom in late november.

No, it's not my first gig ever... I meant the band's first gig... totally didn't make that clear. I've been in many different groups in the last 10 years, and still have a few others that I'm currently working with.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

No, it's not my first gig ever... I meant the band's first gig... totally didn't make that clear. I've been in many different groups in the last 10 years, and still have a few others that I'm currently working with.
i assumed that this wasn't YOUR first gig. but it's still cool.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I saw Red Alert @ a rave in Mass. about '96... He was spinning upstairs from D.J. Dimitri from Dee Lite... After watching the two of them and A/B'ing them in my head, I instantaniously felt like any time spent listing to the knob twiddler tecno-geek downstairs, was time wasted... :D Red Alerts got crazy skills...

Congrats on the gig! :thu: I was just talking to my old drummer about Brian Beller... Apparently, my drummer contacted him to do some stuff on a solo album (that still hasn't materialized)... He said Brian was a super nice guy. I actually only listened to Beer for Dolphins for the first time about 2 weeks ago. Trippy, yet fun! :D

:D:thu::D:D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Bumpcity...consider me jealous beyond belief. I knew that Beller was a cool dude, but that's above and beyond. Congrats! :thu:

Ladies, I've heard Yogi's material and it's great. Let us know how the show goes! Tear it up, Bumpcity!

And tell Bryan Beller I'm gonna keep cyber-stalking his website until that solo album of his is ready!

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Bumpcity...consider me jealous beyond belief. I knew that Beller was a cool dude, but that's above and beyond. Congrats! :thu:

Ladies, I've heard Yogi's material and it's great. Let us know how the show goes! Tear it up, Bumpcity!

And tell Bryan Beller I'm gonna keep cyber-stalking his website until that solo album of his is ready!

Totally. I'm going to try and convince Beller that he needs to share some of his stuff with us on New Years Eve, even if it's only demo form. I'm dyin' to hear it too and the wanker won't share yet.

-Brian

Archived