Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

example of what you'd like to sound like ?

tarsia

I'm sitting here listening to Eric Johnson's

"Ah Via Musicom", & thinking this Mix is

pretty close to what I'd hope for bass wise,

distinct yet supportive, also both of the

Sister Hazel CD's (somewhere more familar & fortress) are really close to a mix I'd like to hear, so my question to everybody is ......

what existing recording (song or album) would be your ultimate choice for tone/placement in the

mix. I know this is a subjective & personal

question but I'm curious to the varying answers !

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phish...that's how I want to sound. I know he plays with a pick, and I can sort of get his sound by placing the pup knob to the middle position. That way, both pups are going strong, and I get a nice low (from the neck pup) and high (from the bridge pup).

That's my ultimate goal.

I also get a good upright sound on my fretless, for those Norah Jones/Van Morrison moments I have sometimes.

I'd like to sound like myself... I like my tone I have right now a great deal. I also like my tone on ALMOST everything I've ever put to tape. There are a few one-off studio gigs that I've done where I wasn't really entirely happy with the tone I got; but the dude who was paying me loved it. Whatever. It's his project, who am I to complain?

Bump & Dot, What I was getting at was a recorded example of the type of sound/tone placement in the mix - not our playing style. I'm sure we all want to keep our individuality.

Just thought it'd be interesting to see the different opinions.

Some people like the Jack Bruce mid/distortion thing, some like a real "Dub Reggae" tone, the sound Chris Squire & Geddy Lee get is a definte

standout - this is what I'm talking about..... :wave:

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

The bass tone on Quicksand's albums -- DEEELICIOUS. Punchy, growly and present without overpowering anything else in the mix. Sounds like a P-bass through an Ampeg with a little dirt on it. Very nice. I'm not nuts about the songs where he uses chorus and reverb on the bass, but I can live with 'em.

The bass tone on Queens Of The Stone Age's "Feel Good Hit Of The Summer." Also growly and punchy, but a little more burly than the Quicksand sound.

The bass tone on White Zombie's "Black Sunshine." Very piano-like. Love it.

These are just sort of general ideas.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I love my sound - it's the combination of me digging in fairly hard near the bridge, into 2 year old Labella 44-110 S/S rounds, picked up by EMG reverse P/Js on my 1987 Warwick Streamer (growl city!) through a TE Dual Compressor pedal (about 3:1 compression on the lows, none on the highs except when I slap) into an SWR Grand Prix with the controls set flat apart from the Aural Enhance at 10 o'clock. It's not the prettiest of sounds, a bit like Jaco with less roundness and more bass and top, but it really cuts through and allows me to drive the band, and really express myself.

I do mess with it quite a bit, sometimes going to extreme reggae sounds by softening up and playing near the neck and tweaking the onboard tone controls, and then I've got a whole bunch of pedals which are a unique combination to that allows me to add more colour and head further into the realms of guitars and synths and other mid-range instruments.

Now I need to write some songs to take advantage of my playing,

Alex

Originally posted by tarsia:

Bump & Dot, What I was getting at was a recorded example of the type of sound/tone placement in the mix - not our playing style. I'm sure we all want to keep our individuality.

Just thought it'd be interesting to see the different opinions.

Some people like the Jack Bruce mid/distortion thing, some like a real "Dub Reggae" tone, the sound Chris Squire & Geddy Lee get is a definte

standout - this is what I'm talking about..... :wave:

That is what I meant. I like my tone a great deal, both live and 95% of the recorded versions of it. If I were to compare my tone to any other bassist's, uhhh... it's something like Geddy Lee, circa Permanent Waves I guess.. I dunno.

I love Matt Freemans sound on "Out Come the Wolves", and Randy's sound on any of Pennywise's albums, but my tone is more akin to what you might hear if you farted into a trash can... :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

For me it's a fairly simplw answer, John Paul Jones, Zeppelin II. However some would say that sound can be traced right back to none other than Jamerson himself.
I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

You want my sound?

Someone just choke up a midget, a bannanna and a tutu.

Ill show u my damn sound.

word

---------

findley(-----serverely inhibited by awful amp

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

im sorry that was worse than my real life asshole self

Listen to Megadeth's Rust in Peace for Dave Elfman er.. however you spell that.

Specifically Tornado of Souls, my god those guys were tight.

And i cant place my finger on the specifics of his sound, i know we have had a discussion about the definitions of words such as woodsy and warm. But if you check the song out you'll see what i mean.

Also the guy who plays for annie de franco simply rocks. I enjoy the hell out of fumbling all thru the songs he masterfully put together. :)

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

I saw annie defranco live... man that guy was good... had an alembic and an upright and played the hell outta both!

As for me.. I really think bass tone needs to be in a mix to sound good. When I practice by myself I dial up a FAR different bass tone then when I play with my band. BUT I really like the dominant funky melodic vibe of flea in one hot minute... it might be because Ive been listening to it alot recently. I know its typical...

oh yeah... I love pink floyd dark side tone... cuts VERY well, but is never overbearing

Dave

Originally posted by Boggs:

For bass, it would be Tony Levin. For acoustic guitar, it would be Phil Keaggy. For electric guitar, it would be Pat Metheney. For voice and production, it would be Peter Gabriel. Boggs

Wow man, you think like me. Of course, I can't sing, just dream.

Tony Levin's tone is right up there. But the sound and feel I'd love to emulate (and I can't) would have to be Marcus Miller on Miles Davis's "Tutu"

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

What is his name from the old Grand Funk Railroad albums? I loved his sound. Mel something? I think. That is who I want to sound like when I'm playing 70s rock.

Oh I also like the bass sound of the old Santana albums. Very cool.

I like the double trouble's bass player's sound when I rock on the blues.

The rest of the time I go for my nervana (not the band, just a state of mind) sound. It is just something I know in my head. Most of the time that is where I am at.

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

You know, those bass tones on the Who's Live at Leeds by John are amazing to me. Like Greenboy said, there are really too many tones to stymie one'self into just one, but that's one of my fav's.

Mel Schlacter of Grand Funk had this totally evil distortion tone on the song PARANOID (not the same tune as the Black Sabbath one) that I still want to hear today, at times... when my ears aren't ringing ; }

Seriously though, with the lines he plays in that song, no other sound could suffice!

Yeah, Mel Schacher of Grand Funk was one of my hero's way back in the day (I'm 45 now) when I was learning bass. Very muscular independant playing style with a nice distortion. I just checked their website after I read this thread and he and Don Brewer (original drummer) are still doing it as Grand Funk, with the addition of three other musicians.

As a few people have already said, there are so many great sounds out there that I don't have really a preference to emulate, except to dial in a certain stand out tone for a particular song. In a slightly related note, the the acoustics at my gig last nite had me playing in bypass mode (I use a BP200) almost all nite. So that was the sound I wanted be like:)

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

I myself actually prefer to sound not unlike a steam shovel striking bedrock... It's not wholey obtainable in sound, at every gig.... however it is something to strive for... I like to reside in the pocket... deep in a groove. uncluttered by extra stuff... now how the hell do i get the rest of my peoples to follow me???

Sean Cooks playing on Spiritualised's "Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space". Great lines and beautiful tone. He uses a Fender Jazz and I use a Ric, so I doubt if I could get his sound.

CupMcMali..This Monkey's gone to Heaven :freak:

Archived