Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Picking out second bass

JDL

I don't like to think about it. There are SO many basses out there(duh). I know this should be my own opinion, but I need a second one. What I'm mainly looking for is a 4-string, VERY reliable bass. I don't know which brand I should buy from. I already have Fender P-bass, I want a more sophisticated and professional bass. I'm leaning towards the Ibanez EDB600. The price range should be about $300-$500. I know that price range is kind of a stretch. I saw the other posts of picking out a first bass. So, can you help? What would you do in my situation? (Please, don't post lectures of how I should just decide)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your'e not going to get a sophisticated professional bass for $300-500 unless you get lucky on EBay.

Quit dreaming and save up your money. A "sophisticated professional bass" is going to cost you at least a grand and maybe two or three times that much.

Go price French Horns or Bassoons and see how lucky we bass players are to have some of the most affordable instruments of all the various kinds of instruments.

I know several violinists and cellists with $50,000 instruments.

I like the Warwick RockBasses a lot. They are very flexible, and cost around $400-600. They have wide string spacing, but you've got a P, so no big change.

I'd also recommend a Hohner bass. The only ones I've seen come in 5- and 6-string versions, but there might be a 4. Check out Musician's Friend under the scratch and dent specials section. They've got some nice gear for less, that might have a tiny scratch in the back that the previous buyer might've been a bitch about. Check em out sometime, otherwise, you'll just have to open your eyes and look around a bit. Happy searching.

I neither love nor hate Fender basses, so take it form a totally impartial point of view. The most recorded basses in history are Fender, so when it comes to a "professional" bass, you already own the king. If you're looking for a bass that just has a bigger Oooooh and Ahhhhhh factor, like Pedulla or Alembic, you're going to have to cough up a lot more than $300-$500.

You simply won't find a professional quality bass for that price.

Use your $500 as a down payment for a quality instrument and finance the rest.

Since you own a fender go for something a little more crazy and unique! ( as defined by you, the user )

g'luck!

Check out my work in progress.

:wave: You MIGHT be able to find a used Reverend for under $500, but there's no guarantee. IMO, Reverend basses are some of the best deals on the planet!

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Can I really be the only one who's playing a G&L?

I bought it used for $550. It's worth soooo much more.

Of course as said above, if you're looking for a Pedulla or Lull, or other coffee table bass for that price... they don't exist. Otherwise I'd have one.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Played a great little Hagstrom yesterday. It was a different model than the Hagstrom I've reved about here in the past. It had a body and pickguard shape that was small and reminiscient of a Gibson SG with a single soapbar p'up mounted midship. The neck profile was about like a J bass, very slim at the nut.

Played and sounded great. It was a friend's first bass several decades ago, purchased by mom and dad. He picked it up when visiting his mom in Ohio, where it had sat in a closet for ages. Tonight we're going to hot-dip the pickup as it is slightly microphonic - becomes obvious when playing tube overdrive at moderate volumes.

Pretty cool, for a 4-string ; }

You can certainly find a pro bass for $500 ish, you just gotta dig...These guys that think you need a $3000 bass are just dead wrong...A $3000 bass is usually worth it in craftmanship, upgraded electronics and workmanship, but I have foudn many many basses for $500 that were good clean workhorses. I sold a Steinberger on eBay about a year ago that smoked most things 3 times it's price.

Check out the Carvins, or look for a used non-spirit Steinberger (if you liek them), a used Yamaha BB series, or a used Ernie Ball. They are out there...

Archived