Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The New Acme Cabs

Anyone try one of the new B2W or B4W Acme cabs yet? I was looking on their web site and they look like they're pretty nice. Similar in design to the originals, but tuned differently to act more as a sub woofer. I've been wanting to get a B2 for a little while, but seeing the new cabs got me wondering if they're that much better. The web site said the B4W will blow almost any 18 away. I was just wondering about any of your experiences with them. As far as my rig, I play a Stingray through a Super Redhead (350 watts, 2x10--450 with extension cab) and I primarily play blues and rock with my fingers, and I prefer Wendy's over Burger King and I hate shopping at Wal-Mart. I hope that covers any of your background questions that may arise.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, have a Super Redhead. I don't know if you've got enough power to drive an Acme B2 as an extension cab. They're rated at 350W RMS, but the info on the Acme site, the review in Bass Player mag, and the comments of several users on this board suggest that you'd want all of the Redhead's power driving the Acme, not a portion of it. (Although I'm not sure about the B2W or the B4W specifically -- but I'm guessing that the same is true.)

I'm too lazy to "search" right now, but I started a thread about Acme cabs a while back that resulted in lots of good info. There's also another thread about 3-way cab design that you might find useful.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

AFAIK the Low-B2W is identical to the Low-B2, apart from its lack of crossover and mid and high drivers. You could use it with the Redhead but the difference in sensitivity between the two cabs will be pretty big and you won't really get the best out of the Acme.

However, an excellent route to go down would be to get a lightweight poweramp that can fit into the 1u rack of the Redhead and can put out 500W-700W RMS into the Low-B2W.

Alex

You won't have enough power to drive the Acme with the redhead already driving its 2X10.

I agree, get a 1RU poweramp, like the Peavey DPC1000 to crank that sucker. It's expensive, but you'll never complain about not being able to hear yourself again! :D Besides, if you balance that much headroom for your lows with the phat punch the redhead already delivers...that could be some serious tone right there...

I'm not sure how you'd wire it up though...let me check the website (I'm bored before work and my legs are sore so I can't go running...).

Be right back...

Okay...it's actually the Peavey DPC 1400X. It's pricey though ($1400 list...ouch...)

In any case...whatever power amp you'd use, youd either run the balanced XLR output or the 1/4" unbalanced output into the power amp, and then to speaker.

The DPC would fit in the rackspace...although i'm not sure it would have much room for ventilation...

Good ideas about putting a 1U power amp in the Redhead's rackspace. To really get full benefit, especially if you went with the Low B2W, you would also benefit from having a crossover so you could really channel your lows into the B2W.

Although it lists for $1400, I think the Peavey DPC-1400X can be had for around $825-$900. I got a price quote in that n'hood from a local store.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Unlike some other amps I've used, the DPC 1400X doesn't need any open rackspaces to stay cool enough when high power is demanded. As long as the rear muffin fan and the front vent are unobstructed there should be no problems. Its about 16 inches deep.

I beta tested it so I got it for cost. I've beta tested in the past for Peavey (keyboards and architectural acoustics division), so when I heard about this amp I talked to a couple guys I know...

It's been through the wringer. I've driven two-ohm loads all night long (4 custom 15' subwoofers) on one side with a 4-ohm cab on the other, tested its ability to deal with real low frequencies with a 2-ohm isobaric clamshell design that must have went down to around 20 Hz (low G below the low B string sounded amazing!), and generally maxed it driving PA or my usual rigs...

Never a blown fuse or a bent voice coil - though I did separate the surround from the cone most of the way around on an 18" sub once {wonder what's buzzing every time I hit anything below the D string ; }

Wow, I see I revealed my association with Doc Emmett Brown when I mentioned custom 15' subwoofers. Well, not really - those were 15" subwoofers, -3dB at 30 Hz, -6dB at 25.

With isobaric clamshell design I actually ran sine waves into and it was still woofing down to low E an octave below your E string without any sign of overexcursion. The ear isn't very efficient that low even when a power soaker such as this is eating all of 700 watts!

I am soon back to the future to design magnaplanar wallets that can double as 8-man life rafts.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about that route as well. I know the Acme's are power hungry, but I read the specs and thought I would have enough, but, I completely forgot about the speakers in the Redhead already taking some of that power. I guess it was just wishful thinking that I could get some serious lows for not much money. I guess another $1500 isn't too bad. I hate having that dreaded G.A.S.

I'm a big fan of the Acme sound and philosophy. But I think maybe the statement about a B4W versions blowing away an eighteen are dependent on a number of issues.

Weightwise, they win against most. On the total output most SR 18" designs handle at least the power of the Acme, some maybe 150%, and are maybe a dB or 2 more efficient in the sub-100Hz range to start with. So, the total SPL at full rated power for the 18 is going to be higher.

No clear winner there. Just tradeoffs.

Faster? Maybe when run full range and measured above the freq where the port starts doing much of the work. But in a bi-amp situ doing just lows, a well-designed 18 sub won't sound any slower. (Truthfully though, some of the 18 cabs sold by bass cab manufacturers may not do so well. They trade size for low extension and often sound boomier. Maybe why they aren't so popular).

I think the B2W is the real sleeper of the line-up. If one is looking for some true low end capability in a small light package, this is it. What other MI or SR cab can function as a subwoofer when a small footprint is desired that can actually make the lowest octave a Five or Six can produce? Nothing else comes close at less than 50 pounds.

Add that to a conventional 210, biamp with plenty of power (350-500 watts for the B2W), and use it to make 100 Hz and below, and the other cab either full-range or just above 100 Hz depending on which sounds better the way you like to set up your cabs and set your EQ. This would be a SMOKIN' small setup if you like to hear TRUE low end and would get the best out of each cab!

...Another possible extended-range full-fidelity winner would be the B2W set tall, with a conventional 110/horn design sitting on top. Cross over at a slightly higher freq - say 150-200 Hz, and you would have much the same sound with an even smaller cartage. This could be a cool mix-n-match standup rig too.

Archived