Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth-Bass

Addix Metzatricity

Ok... I've got this Line6 FM4 Filter/Modeler here, and I LOVE IT! But... there's a problem. The frequency response is obviously geared towards guitar, but I know there's got to be a way to make it work.

The pitch shifts when using a monophonic synth, probably due to noise or harmonics. Has anyone found a way to alleviate this problem? Would a noise gate work?

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gate might clean up some extra fiddle diddle (string noise and such) but wont do much beyond that. Your better off adjusting your muting via the old fingers to handle that.

What you might want to do is bandpass the signal prior to the Line box. This will limit the freqency range range going to the box which might help it track a bit better.

Names to Remember:

Charles Stepney & Emory Cook

From my experiences with my Octabass and Deep Impact, it can really help to have compression happening before the synth pedal. I have a TE comp pedal as the first thing in my chain and it really helps. Also with any device that has to track the pitch you're playing it seems to help to accentuate the lowest harmonics that it tracks from and minimise the confusing higher ones.

Try plucking nearer the neck and make sure that you mute any strings that you're not playing. And remember not to play diads or chords, that really confuses the hell out of synths.

Alex

Thanks so much guys.

I am currently using a Boss Compressor/Limiter pedal in front of the FM4, but maybe I should tweak it a bit. When I play with a pick, I generally play more towards the bridge, perhaps I should try to change that.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

I don't know that particular unit. But I've played though a fair amount of tracking and pitch detecting units. They all have their peculiarities based on what circuitry or algorithms are being used to detect and translate.

Experimenting thus becomes the only way to find what works best for a particular one. All the suggestions including yours (pick away from the bridge more: thus emphasing lower overtones and not upper mids) are worth trying.

Archived