Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass thru computer?!?

basspunker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'd be cheaper to buy a Pignose... Probably sound about the same too... :D Where are you at in Illinois?

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

I have a Creative Platinum Sound Card and it came with a front panel with SPDIF, MIC IN, MIDI, Audio

Ins & outs. The speakers come with a sub-woofer for bass. Sometimes when I'm lazy to plug in to my bass amp, I just plug in to the computer to Audio in and play. Ofcourse you dont expect to play very loud since it could burst the woofer. It sounds as well and same as play with you bass amp & speaker.

:cool:

You could buy a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plug it into the mic or line input on the back of the computer with an instrument cable...I used to do that for cheesy little recordings...works alright for me

Chris

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

It'd be cheaper to buy a Pignose... Probably sound about the same too... :D Where are you at in Illinois?

I agree with Jason. Actually, I'd think that my computer stand (right here in the kitchen, where I can see the TV) is not the ideal place to practice.

Not the biggest techno-wizard here, but I think that there is not an analog path from the sound-card input through to the speakers...it has to be AD'd and Da'd and most soundcards don't really specialize in that. (Tell me if I'm wrong, Computer Jaco's; I'm willin' to learn.)

At any rate, someday you might wanna practice in the bedroom or bathroom or back porch....ya wanna drag the 'puter there?

Oh wait, I get it...you wanna practice while you surf. Now that is a good Idea, I should be doin' it myself.

But don't buy the Pignose, buy the Hognose...it's bigger!!!!

And bigger is always better.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Well, when I started playing back in the prehistoric days before computers existed I tried to connect my bass to my stereo so I could practice in my dorm room.

I blew up the stereo.

I would strongly recommend against plugging your bass directly into your computer. Instead buy a little practice amp. Does Peavey still make the micro-bass? That's a great little amp.

Ugh. Crap is much too kind for what this will sound like, but if you must ...

Unplug the speakers from the sound card. (The speakers have their own amplifier, so you don't need any of the garbage on your soundcard if all you're doing is monitoring).

Then plug the stereo 1/8 jack from the speakers into a 1/4 mono plug -> 1/8 stereo jack adapter. Then plug the 1/4 mono plug into your bass.

Depending on the adaptor, you may only get sound out of one speaker.

i agree with Bartolini on this one. i also have the creative platinum sound card. i plug my bass into that and wear headphones instead of blowing my speakers.

although i have had an acoustic band practice in my basement before where i turned the sub woofer all the way up and used my computer as my amp.(my real amp was at the drummers house).

I basically leave my amp at the drummers house all the time now and practice almost strictly through the computer.(i got sic of dragging around the "cube", my 4x10 cab)

I guess the answer could be to try upgrading your sound card if you really want to play through your computer. The platinum card isn't the only one with the proper inputs, there are cheaper cards that have it. so if you are willing to buy a new sound card you would be good to go.

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

I just plug into the sound card on my computer and it seems fine, I just need to max my line in level.

Check out www.audiomulch.com

it's a DSP for windows. You can have a lot of fun with the effects on it, and it's VST compatible. :thu:

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Sandman:

I basically leave my amp at the drummers house all the time now and practice almost strictly through the computer.

That's the first time I've ever heard a story like that. I say nice job for making it work. :thu::thu:

Ive got a sound blaster live card, with altec lansing speakers. I practice through them constantly, becasue I dont have my amp with me. It will sound like crap if you have your levels set wrong (Unless you like digital distortion).. otherwise no problems. I play low B five string, and I havent blown them yet. (The speakers have a pretty good frequencey response though...)

-Adam

ps Im in illinois too... what area are you in? (im at the university of illinois in cham-bana)

Archived