Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What would you put in a press kit.

Will Kesling

Greetings fellow earth shakers!! I have a question that is not 100% bass related but non the less I think you all might know something on the matter and could give me some ideas. I have beens asked to put together a press kit with some c.d.'s of my side project, www.mp3.com/myoverself for review by an on line music e-zine. What does this intail. I have a vauge idea but is there a standard set for what a press kit is to include?

Will

One Life...One Destiny...

Thirteen Colvmns

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also any articles about the band and the publication they appeared. You want the press kit to be memorable, but not overdone. You want it to catch attention to make them remember you. I've seen cd rom press kits that were incredible, but, most people who will see the press kit are in a rush and cd rom's take up too much of their time. Go to Kinko's and have them print your band name and photo on a folder and put your stuff in it and pass/send them out. Based on experience, get a good writer to write the bio.

Short, sweet, and to the point. Make sure that, above all else, the destination of the press pack can get ahold of you (you can't the gig, no matter how good the PP, if they can't talk to you). Keep the writing short, but include a place (i.e., your website (which is a must-have now)) where they can find out more about you. Chances are that they won't, but include it anyway.

Tailor the press pack to the destination. If you are trying to get a bar gig, stress how many people you could pull in; tell a record company how many copies of your demo you've moved. Remember that your PP is a sales pitch, not the "authorized biography."

Have business cards!

www.vistaprint.com is an online printer that does business cards. Their basic ones are actually free, +shipping. I had my last cards done there. This link can also be found on Bob's double bass links page. Always have them with you so that you can give your contact info to anyone who might want it.

Have a web site!

Whenever someone asked me about my (former) band, the same 2 questions came up every time- "what do you play?" and "what's your website?" Let the latter answer the former.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

A good friend of mine is a web designer and has told me that he gets more action these days from their web page than from sending out promo packs. All the info that would be in the promo kit is on their page. Here\'s a link to their site.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

A combination two-pronged attack with BOTH a website AND press kits woul probably be best. Remember to keep it short and sweet though. People who recieve many of them on a daily basis can lose interest very quickly... :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

A combination two-pronged attack with BOTH a website AND press kits woul probably be best. Remember to keep it short and sweet though. People who recieve many of them on a daily basis can lose interest very quickly... :D

I second that Jason.

Trust me, the people who see it need to be impressed quickly

I couldn't have said it better Jason

JDL-peace

Archived