Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

non-nickle bass strings..

sigudo

i am having extreme skin problems with the nickle contained in my bass strings. everytime i play i get all itchy and iratated in the fingers. i need some help from someone out there in bass world to let me know if they have had any similar run ins..??? what string manf. company offers strings without any nickle content without going to a tape wound product. :cry: i want to keep playing my heart out... but my condition and allergic reaction to nickle is holding me back...please please please help me...

SIGUDO

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I've heard some people have trouble with nickel. I don't personally, thankfully. Several manufacturers make stainless steel strings that should contain no nickel. There might be some that have nickel cores, and steel wraps, but I usually just go with solid nickel strings. You can also use the acoustic phosphor/bronze strings, but I don't know how they'd sound on electric...interesting enough to find out, though. Just ask the friendly representative at your friendly neighborhood music center. Hope this helps in any way.

Ooh, you play a fretless. Are you playing flats or rounds? I think most flats are steel anywho, but I may be wrong. The set of Markley's that I put on it one time were steels, but I've since reverted to the ole rounds on my fretless. It's just got this weep to it since I pulled the frets myself, so there is this weird overtone thing going on. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Anywho, once I get the technology, I'll post a sound-bit of it up here and let you guys listen a while.

Archived