Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Ben

Bartolini

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't...it's a limited edition stingray that was put out in 1996 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Stingray (it first appeared in '76).

You can still find them in stores in America sometimes...I don't know about singapore, though.

I'm sure I'm ruining it's "collector's value" by playing it as often as I do. The thing's got tons of scratches and dings...and the fingerboard's permanently absorbed enough finger-grime to turn the maple fingerboard a grimy brown color that I can't get rid of, even with a Murphy's oil soap job. Then there's the fact I replaced the pickup w/ a Bartolini MMC...

I'm sure some hobbyist collector out there is having a heart attack... :D

Limited edition.......thats great. Right decision at right time.

I thought MusicMan is using Bartolini pickups. Thats what Louis Johnson said about his bass specs in his video.(thats what I remember..) In the product specs I see that StingRay is using MusicMan Humbucking pickup. Since you changed to Bartolini, would you kindly explain the difference?

Sidenote -- those anniversary Stingrays show up regularly on eBay and it's worth checking out Bass Central to see if they have any (they have quite the 'ray collection).

Sorry, I can't answer your pup question. I defer to Ben -- I recall him saying something in the past about it helping out his G-string (yikes -- Ben and a G-string?!?! ;) ). Some folks also put a Seymour Duncan Basslines MM pup in their Stingrays. Can anyone speak about that switch as well?

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

That's pretty much it. I liked the sound of 70's stingrays a little more, and the stock stingray pickup sounded a bit more "modern" than that.

The Bartolini is a bit thicker in the low-mids, has a more even response across the strings, and it's smooth! The big, sharp polepieces on the stock pickup were a bit uncomfortable...

Archived