Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

slapping for begginers

chewstermaniac

Greets!

Well, I've gone and done it. I want to slap. I want to slap that bass silly. The problem is, I'm really not so good at it. The two songs i've learned so far are higher ground (RHCP) and take the power back ( RAM ).

What i really could use: A list of songs that incorporate slapping, so i can learn it! Exclude anything from the above mentioned groups please.

Expose me! :thu:

Check out my work in progress.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dorm neighbor in college had what appeared to be a very nice book on slap technique... although I never went through it.. perhaps it would do you some good to get a book and work through it.

although I agree learning slap tunes it a great way to learn

Dave

Steve Bailey and Victor Wooton have a slap video that is amazing. I used to play with this guy who was a musical prodigy. He is utterly amazing. One day, he decided he wanted to learn slap, so we went to the music store and he bought that video and the book with it. The next day, he was playing the show-off piece of the video! It took me a month and I still never got it. But, his playing lacks feeling and emotion altogether and his tone is less than stellar, so that makes me feel better about myself.

Back to topic now....Another band is Infectious Grooves. Robert Trujillo (who now plays with Ozzy and Black Label Society) was in that band and Suicidal Tendencies and he is amazing. The Chili Peppers, of course, and Primus. This isn't a complete list by any means.

The first song that caught my ear years ago was "Run for Cover" from David Sanborn's Straight to the Heart album (cassette tape actually). Marcus Miller playing bass - great stuff.

Some cool lessons on the web as well. I heard Kirwan Brown on the Bassics CD. Check out his website. There is a lessons section with a neat slap riff.

http://www.kirwanbrown.com/

Also, if I remember Warwick has some online lessons that cover slap technique.

http://www.warwickbass.com/basssurvival101/lesson_5slap.htm

Oh yea, don't forget Victor Wooten...

I know everybody says slap is overused but I think it's cool. Made the transition from guitar to bass way more fun! It's the closest I'll ever get to being a percussionist.

One more... Abe Laboriel.

Have fun... Good Luck!

Oh, I hear Alex Sklarveski's video is great as well. A little expensive though... it's about $80 CDN up here.

"Aeroplane" by the RCHP is another good choice. BloodSugarSexMagik has some good slap lines on it as well.

"Brick House" by the Commodores is great pentatonic slap line to get your hands around.

Master Class:

"Hair" by Graham Central Station (Larry Graham)

"'Aint we Funkin' Now" and "Stomp" by the Brothers Johnson (Louis Johnson)

"Serpentine Fire" by Earth, Wind & Fire. I don't know if Verdine White's actually slapping, but it's the only way I know how to make my bass sound like his on that track...

"Emergency on Planet Earth" by Jamiroquai (Stuart Zender)

"Peg" by Steely Dan. Chuck Rainey slaps so light and bouncy that it fooled Becker & Fagen into thinking that he was playing fingerstyle (he had his back to them...)

"Lopsy Lu" by Stanley Clarke.

That's about all I can think of. After all that, you'll be ready to take on some Marcus Miller. Look out!!! :freak:

It's also a good idea to get a drum book and practice the kick and snare patterns. Think of the bass drum as your thumb and the snare as your index finger.

Adding to what has gone before: Junior Walker's BLOW THE HOUSE DOWN has some killer stuff on practically every cut. But I kind of get off on the more understated stuff I hear by Me'shell (fretless, for one thing). Laura Love sure comes up with some great slap lines while singing and yodeling! And Kim Clarke (Defunkt) puts most de boys to shame with slap and really fluid and rubbery lines. Yes, I do like the women!

A name I don't hear much these days: Jamaladeen Tacuma, who was pretty bad and just seemd to vanish. It's also good to see props go to Stanley Clarke again; the power he was, I'm surprised he doesn't come up more. I hear he is really doing it on the upright again these days...

But between playing fretless exclusively and having fingerfunk master Paul Jackson living in my haid I just don't pursue slap past a certain point, yet I'm sure there will come a day... {right after I get this other unique stuff I hear developed fully ; }

yes, robert trujillos stuff with infectious grooves is pretty hot. especially on the first album. if you like that, check out send me your money on lights, camera, revolution by suicidal tendencies. i started slapping after i heard bela flecks sinister minister. vic wooten on that, and no i still can't play the solo, but it's a fun littel line that's pretty easy and a good left hand warm up.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Hey Bastid E, when I first heard "Send Me Your Money" I knew I had to learn slap.

My problem with slap is what we down here refer to as "White Boy Slap." So many people think being able to slap makes you a great bass player and they learn the technique and become very good at it. So, they slap as fast as their little hands can go and wow a few non-musicians, but their style lacks soul. It's only flash. This is why we dubbed it "White Boy Slap." You take these guys and put some Graham Central Station in front of them and they're lost. They have no feeling in their slap. That is the primary reason I have left the slap behind, because I find myself caught up without my feeling, just slapping 100 mph. The other, and biggest reason, being I think I'm inferior slapping.

It is indeed keyboard. It's also fun to play.

For a real bass-on-tv slap line...the line from "Night Court" is great. Alls ya have to do is play that A octave lick followed by that chromatic walkup from G, and 70% of all guitar players will follow with that bluesy fill almost immediately. :D

Me'Shell is indeed a funk goddess with her thumb.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I do have some infectious grooves around here somewhere....victor wooten is definitly something i'm gonna look into. I see his name coming up in almost every post!

"white boy slap" is racial slur. I plan on learning all sorts of slap. I don't want to be a slap bassist. I want to be a well rounded bassist with many tools and techniques at my disposal.

Thanks again to all :thu:

Check out my work in progress.

"white boy slap" is a regular occurrence 'round here at closing time, when some poor shlub tries to get his fist-fightin' woman to "Come back home to the trailer park, honey - I got a fifth o' Schnapps ta go!"

<-- greenboy ---<<<<    some of my best friends are ______ ; }

Originally posted by chewstermaniac:

"white boy slap" is racial slur. I plan on learning all sorts of slap.

:thu:

You missed my point to that interjection. I'm white myself. All "white boy slap" is is slapping fast with no soul, just to show off. No one is trying to throw in racial jabs at anyone.

> the chili's have nothing to do with funky

What?!? Have you not heard half of Blood Sugar Sex Magik? Mellowship Slinky in B Major, Apache Rose Peacock, Sir Psycho Sexy, Give It Away. . . these may not be straight-ahead funk songs, but no one can deny that they're *funky*. Of course, Flea doesn't do much slapping on that album. Whenever he slaps it's usually on the more punk/rock-oriented songs (which I don't care for). Anyway, I'm not one of those young lads whose first introduction to funk was through the Chili Peppers, but I do dig their "funk era." Give it a listen if you haven't by now.

All your bass are belong to us!

Archived