Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All time favourite bass amp combo

Learner

Originally posted by amcka:

Learner - I have a JCM900 too - 100 watt version... I plugged into it with my J bass and dinked around for a few minutes just to see what it would sound like - just used my cheap fender 4x12 cab. It sounded interesting and definitely not bad.

Hi amcka, :wave:

Thanks for the feedback, I am sure all of us that's following the thread do appreciate your effort! :thu:

I haven't recorded my bass through that setup yet... so not sure how that would sound, but I actually am interested to try it... don't know when I will get a chance to though. Might try recording the line out from that amp as well as mic. What I normally play through is a SWR 350 watt head and some old peavey cab with two 15's. The main difference between these two set ups that I noticed was: my SWR had the nice big low end that you get with a "real" bass amp. The marshall setup lacked the huge low end (but wasn't too bad), BUT sounded pretty cool and interesting in the midrange - probably good for like an old-school type sound.

Right, I think it would be very interesting if you could compare both amps on the same speaker no EQ staright in and out. That way, it'll really do justice to this experiment.

Currently, I am trying to decide if I should get a club PA type of boom box cabinet vs the "real" bass cabinet since thats the type of sound characteristic I am trying to get.

Here is an option I am looking at but it kinda makes my amp seems a little bit weak, that's OK I don't really need to go super loud anyway.

http://au.page.sold.yahoo.com/au/auction/511416442?aucview=0x23

Anyway... I think someone already suggested this, but I've had decent results recording simultaneously a mic'ed cab and the line out of the amp or a DI.

I think you asked about mic's? I use an Audio Technica Pro25 and it sounds alright to me, especially for the price.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! :thu:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I own 3 combo amps. A Peavey TNT130 which for having only 130 watts sounds way louder. A Fender BXR200 which also kicks ass. And a smaller SWR 60 watt practice amp. I love them all. I always get told to turn my Fender down or adjust the bass lower because it's so loud and deep sounding espescially if it's directly on the floor!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Archived