Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good compressor/limiter for bass

doc taz

Anyone know of a good one? I'd prefer one in pedal form, but might get one for a rack if that's better. I only need it to squash volume peaks, not for extra sustain (my basses have plenty of that).

I do have one pedal, but it seems suitable for guitar, not bass. It's a DOD FX80-B COMPRESSOR SUSTAINER pedal (orange-red color). Any thoughts on that one?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a MultiComp by EBS. I really dig it. They show up used at retailer sites (I got a good deal on mine used from Bass Northwest ), and they're often on eBay and various gear classifieds sites. They're definitely pricey new, though.

There's been lots of compressor discussion on this board, try a "search." The threads in the past have covered rack units as well as pedals. They've also covered the use of compression -- when to use it, when not to, why you might want it, etc.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

My favorite smiple conpressor for Bass is the DBX 160x or 160XT. You can find them used on e-bay, Digibid and other sites at reasonable prices, usually around $200. Basic functions, threshold, ratio and makeup gain. set at 4:1, you should achieve your needs and maintain sonic quality and clarity.

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived