Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strings!

Albini Fan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, first off welcome to the site and It is good to hear someone else is picking up the bass. I would say that at this point in your development I would say it is not too import what brand. What I mean is, if you go out and buy the most expensive set of strings right you probally won't even notice the difference. I woud just get a basic set for now and then later down the road if you have an auditon or get to play out I would buy some DR brand bass strings. I'm sure you will get a hundred differnt answers on everyone's favorite strings but like I said at this stage it is not too terrible important. As long as they sound o.k. and stay in tune. I hope this helps you out a be sure to work real hard at your lessons your teacher gives you. If you stick to it and persist you will become good in no time flat.

Will

One life....One Destiny

Thirteen Colvmns

One Life...One Destiny...

Thirteen Colvmns

Halfrounds, roundwounds, flatwounds, groundwounds, taperwounds, pianowounds, nickel, stainless, roundcore, hexcore, light gauge, medium gauge, heavy gauge, there are enough different kinds of bass strings out there to drive you out of your farkin skull. How do you know which is best? Experiment! It might take years to find the perfect string for you so don't be afraid to try them all...one set at a time. :)

Have a careful look around this site for info which might answer many of your questions. http://www.deanmarkley.com/

I've been pondering the same question for some time. I've still got the 2 year old stock strings on my bass, so I figured I might as well get new strings and learn how to restring and set action, etc. all in one fell swoop. My main concern is cost -- I'm hoping for a set of D'darrio, but I'd like to know the cost of strings in general (Canadian currency).

Dificult choice, I run GHS Super Steels in all my bass guitars, i like the feel and the sound. but i would like to try any other string if my budget can afford that.

I ask some friends and other people about, one of them told me he likes the "Supersteel" stuff because slap sound great. I don´t know, I just go to a store and buy a string set. Then Again and again and so on. Im happy with that, may be until i try another brand or model.

I have to tell that i notice i great change in the sound with the GHS ST, May be we can post some records of diferent strings to learn more about. What do you think guys?

Regards

Roy A. Zderich

Roy A. Zderich

http://www.dsps.cl

I use Fender Mediums (.45-.105) on my 4stringer, and I dunno what the 5 has since I just bought it. Hmmm, the GHS Steels sound cool, I might just get some of those. Probably the heaviest set they have.

I'm also very pissed as of late, since the Mars Music a quarter mile from my house has shut down due to a corporate bankruptcy :eek: . I talked to a guy that worked there, and he said it was because they were expanding too fast and the market went to crap. Kind of reminds me of the scene when the Death Star zapped Alderon in Star Wars ! Oh well, guess it looks like I'll hafta go elsewhere to get my strings. And the bass I just bought was from there, so I guess any warranty through them is now null and void. Stupid corporate punk bastards.

Oh yeah, and this is the *new and unimproved* RumbleontheRiver. Enjoy.

Originally posted by Tornus:

I've been pondering the same question for some time. I've still got the 2 year old stock strings on my bass, so I figured I might as well get new strings and learn how to restring and set action, etc. all in one fell swoop. My main concern is cost -- I'm hoping for a set of D'darrio, but I'd like to know the cost of strings in general (Canadian currency).

Oh my goodness, those must sound awfully dead... try Elixers... they last a LONG time. Some people don't like the sound, but if you're going on 2 year old strings, I doubt you'd really notice the difference the webbing makes on the sound (which in my opinion, doesn't make a whole lot of difference). I'm just not using them because 5-string and odd gauge sets are hard to find.

Edit note:

I also forgot about Carvin strings, which I'm currently using now... very good strings for the price... 10 to 13 USD depending on if you get a 4 or 5 string set. Again, some people complain about them lacking brightness or life, but I think they have plenty of life and punch. I use the nickel strings, but they also have steel strings if that's your preferenece. My only real complaint is the lack of gauge variety, but since I'm using standard gauges now, it's not really a problem.

Ok, here's the scoop. I just bought a set of D'Addario strings for my 5string, and wow are they bright! They've got this weird polyurethane coating on them that's supposed to extend life 4-5 times that of normal strings. The low B has a bright snappy sound that actually sounds cool slapping! I love it. I'm sticking with those on my 5er, and maybe switching to flats on my fretless to relieve some of the wear on the fingerboard, right after I give it a little sanding and polyurethaning. Gotta keep it nice and clean, ya know.

Yeah, those strings ran me about $32USD+ 9.25% sales tax at a local store (since Mars went under). They are great strings, I will cherish them until the day they die. The only physical thing I can see is that on the B, a little bit of the poly coating is visible, but it doesn't affect the sound or texture of the string, so I'm not too worried about it. Anywho, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Archived