Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Flat wound B string

John Van Eps

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is quite a quandry. if you don't like flatwounds i can't say you 'd find any you'ld like. one option would be puting an epoxy coat on the fingerboard. it'll protect the wood and it's very easy to maintain/repair. then you can put roundwounds on there :D .
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Are you looking for flats because you like the sound of flats or because you want to save your fingerboard some wear? (Or both, I guess.)

I use D'Addario half rounds on my fretless 5 and really like them. They're smooth on the outside (my fingerboard likes that) and are brighter than flats. I used to use flats on my E-A-D-G and a roundwound on my B, which sounded pretty good, but also meant that the board under my B was going to wear more quickly than under the other strings. I am happy to have all half rounds now -- I like the sound better than flats and I can keep my board uncoated, which I prefer.

If you're interested in flats to save your board some wear, but don't like the sound, you can stick with the half rounds you're using or follow Bastid's advice.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

In the end it's about the sound you want from your fretless -- coated or uncoated board; flats, halfs, or rounds; pickup choices and eq settings; etc. It all interacts while you're creating the tone you want.

Flats just might not be the answer...

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I play rounds on my fretless. It causes a minimal amount of wear, but I coated the board with polyurethane to toughen it up a bit. Just like Jaco (well, he used epoxy). I do need to reapply some poly to it, though; maybe a little sanding. I think that if you want to, you can coat it, and still use rounds or whatever you like with minimal wear.

I like Lakland flats and TI Jazz flats. The B strings are 0.128 and 0.130, respectively, if I remember right. They will fit on most 35" scale basses as well as 34".

Ed Friedland likes LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass flats, but I haven't tried those.

Archived