Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bruises

Brunettefox_00

I've been playing for several years and have gone through my share of Upright bass problems. From really high action and sore joints to wrist problems. I've fixed my posture many times and have succeeded in avoiding anythign serious. Lately I've started in a new band where the director (jazz band) wants a really rythmic sound. I found that the sound he wants can only be created if I pluck really hard.

To my question, I have devellopped bruises along the fingers of my right hand (first and second) and they are a little tender. Being right handed and going to University isn't a good mix with these bruises. I was just wondering if anyone had any remedies to my problem.

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where are the bruises exactly? And how exactly are you plucking the strings? Really hard across the fingerboard, or away from the fingerboard? I can't give you much feedback unless you are more specific ,but the fact that you have bruises, not blisters or calluses, sends up a bit of a red flag.
I have no homepage.

Yep, that agressive, ahead-of-the-beat walking on upright was tough on me as well when I first got into seriously playing the upright regularly. Here's some tips from my experience:

First off, pull with your whole arm, not with just your right hand fingers. Try to imagine your arm as a pendulum, and use the weight of your arm. I'll wager there's at the VERY least 15 lbs of weight there that you could be making work for you.

I've never gotten bruises per se but I've certainly gotten big, huge, nasty blood blisters. Are your fingers actually turning black and blue, or are they simply really sore and tender? If it's sore fingers, that's normal...soon you'll get more blisters which will pop, bleed, etc until calluses start to form...again. If it's really black-and-blue bruises...try icing your hand after playing to bring the swelling down. Unfortuately, you will have to play through the pain for a while...it's part of the game...

Your jazz enseble teacher wants a rhythmic sound...but are you playing with an amp or are you trying to be heard above a band that's playing too loud?

It's tough...the pain will subside as you play more, though.

I'm playing with an amp, but he wants the sound to be sharp and rythmic.

I have been playing with the arm, but they're turning blue, from the mid knuckle down. It' snot too bad yet, but I"m worried that they'll get worse by next practise. There's no sign of blistering, I have way too thick of callouse for that one.

Thanks guys for your help

Originally posted by Brunettefox_00:

I have been playing with the arm, but they're turning blue, from the mid knuckle down. It' snot too bad yet, but I"m worried that they'll get worse by next practise. There's no sign of blistering, I have way too thick of callouse for that one.

Uhh, I think if part of your body is turning blue, that's probably a warning that you are doing something wrong. :eek:

Unless you're a smurf, I guess... :P

I have no homepage.

Originally posted by Brunettefox_00:

That "pull with your whole arm thing" is a great idea.

What string/pickup combination are you using? You might be able to change to a more percussive string that is still easy to play. (I'm using Picato Innovations...great gut tone, kinda thuddy. Fat strings, but very low tension.) You might also get the kind of "attack" sound he's wanting by using a:

(waiting for a drum roll)

BBE Sonic Maximizer or Rolls Red Square DI.

Makes the attack sound more evident with less of a "oomph" in the pull.

Or, you could "popeye" yourself with large "muskles"; might make you a bit less foxy.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived