Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Instrument Replacement Parts

Wrave

I've recently brought out my old Musicman Sting-Ray and find that the foam rubber pads at the bridge have...well, it kinda looks like they've melted! Also the chrome tail piece has corroded, and the pick guard has cracked. Of course, the cigarette burns on the head stock near the nut are cool, can you say "vintage" instrument? Anyway, I'd like to fix it up a bit, at the very least I want to replace the string deadening pads. Can anybody suggest an on-line supplier for these kinds of parts?

TIA - Wrave

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These old StingRay bridges *do* come up for time to time on eBay, as do pads; even if you don't buy there, you might be able to find some good leads on MM parts dealers, as many dealers sell on eBay. I'd try contacting Bass Central, who claim to be the nation's largest MM dealer; they could probably at least tell you where to look for good parts. Pads might be tricky, but I'll bet you can find some if you really chase the leads. The bridge should be easy--you could get it buffed out, or re-dipped, at any plating shop. Pickguards should be easy too--they come up on eBay all the time.

If you're getting out as a player, then do what you need to get it playable; if you're looking at it as a collectible, though, you might just want to leave it alone, skinny legs & all--it's all-original.

Thanks dcr! I checked out Bass Central and I've sent 'em a message. Maybe they'll at least have the dampers.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Archived