Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quiet Toby Pro - What to do?

chamers

Hi all, Ive been lurking here for a while but now its time to ask for some advice.

Ive got a Tobias Toby PRO-4 I bought from Musicyo.com, despite the problems other people have had with musicyo the whole process was painless for me and Im really pleased with the bass, it plays like a dream, but and its a pretty big BUT.....

Its really, really, really quiet! In order to get a reasonable sound I have to crank the amp right the way up, something I don't have to do with my other basses. I dont know if its the pickups, the electronics (its active with no option to bypass the pre-amp and play passive.).

Has anyone else encountered this? Any recommendations for replacement electronics/pickups? Ive never tried replacing anything like this, is this a job I should get a professional to do?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Playing open strings with one fist in the air http://www.garageband.com/artist/Geller

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic has been addressed before - use the search function for "toby" and you'll see the same topic posted last October. Looks like changing the pre-amp is the bottome line.

Best wishes in getting yours fixed.

- Matt W.

I'd contact musicyo. I had a student buy one of these, and as I recall, it wasn't extremely loud, but it wasn't that quiet. (I assume the battery is fresh)

I can't imagine what might be causing this...I only know enough to be dangerous. Could the difference in the UK's electricy cause some kind of conflict? Nope probably not.

For the money, it is a beautiful bass with a nice feel, isn't it? If it is still in warranty, I'd want another sample.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Does you amp have pre-gain and post gain knobs? Simply set the pre-gain higher for this bass if it does. That's what pregain is for: to match input levels, and there is nothing inherently wrong with a lower output bass as long as the signal has quality and good noise performance.

Alternately, get a battery checker to make sure you have a good battery, and keep fresh replacements on hand (man, I would hate not having a bypass if the bass goes through them quickly).

The other possibility is that when you open the cavity you will find a trim pot on the circuit board for adjusting the preamp's output gain. Did you get any manual type lit with your bass that would mention this or show its location?

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Like NuB-bass suggested searching turned up where the topic had been discussed before. I found this post from bikertrash:

O.k. Got one, been there, done that. The pre-amp just flat sux in the volume dept. If you bypass and run straight to the output jack, The pickups are LOUD. I put a bartolini HR4.5 in mine and the difference was huge. You could try adding a battery and running it at 18v. You have nothing to lose except a POS pre- amp which you can replace from Mighty Mite for about $20.

Ive tried just about every brand of battery and failed to find a trim pot on the circuit board Im not saying there isnt one I just cant see it.....

I could try sending it back to Musicyo but Im in the UK and Ive been told they've closed their European offices, plus to be honest its become the number one love of my life at the moment and Im a little reluctant to let it out of my hands for too long.

I guess the next step forward is to take a look at the bartolini web site.......wish me luck...

Playing open strings with one fist in the air http://www.garageband.com/artist/Geller

chamers,

I missed bikertrash's post, but adding a battery probably isn't going to do much good. But if the pickups are hotter passively and you have an amp with good EQ control you might just make it into a passive bass and feel all the better for it : }

greenboy

I missed bikertrashs post first time round as well, like your idea though! I tend to dial my tone in when Im setting up and then leave it there, so I dont make a lot of use of the onboard electronics, though its nice to have them there.

Think Ill try your idea out before I splash out any money on a new pre-amp, like davebrownbass says above, for the money, the Toby Pro is a beautiful bass with a nice feel, I guess Im discovering how they manage to make them so cheaply though ;)

That's the post I was looking at. I hope that thread helped.

I have the Toby Deluxe - IMHOP these are good basses for the buck. I agree - the feel is good, the finish is well done. The electronics in mine haven't given me any problems, but that doesn't make them immune to being upgraded. They ain't MTD, but they're decent axes for the $$$.

- Matt W.

Archived