Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

inspiration

BNC

Well, I have been in a rut. I don't practice much at home now because it is just not the same as playing live, I have little time (too much other pointless bull@#$% to take care of), and I can't seem to get the urge to practice. I really hate not having the drive I used to (unusaully stressful situations are not helping me either :mad: ). I was just wondering what some of you guys do to keep things fresh and exciting. Any and all suggestions are welcome, I am just looking for a different perspective on this. Thanks!

BNC

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually when I lack the urge to practice, I try a few things:

1. Turn on the radio to a station that I don't listen to normally like country or hip-hop, and try figure out the song on the fly. I've gotten a few fresh ideas to incorporate elsewhere by doing this.

2. Watch one of my instructional videos. That usually gives me inspiration.

3. Go out and WATCH a band play live.

4. Find inspiration in other instruments. I find that a great vocal melody, or drum line does it for me.

5. And finally, I play bass the steering wheel of my truck to the radio or whatever's in the CD player while driving. It makes a boring drive more fun, plus makes you pay more attention to the song. (this may also wreak havoc in heavy traffic) :D:thu:

BNC...my at home hobby is watching movies. Granted, with no family it is a lot easier said than done when one has family commitments. However, if you have TV time at night, just sit there with your bass and play anything while you watch. Don't think, just noodle as you watch the tube...without an amp, of course. I do it all the time above and beyond practice regimen. Sometimes I just sit and hold the bass and not play anything...just fondle it. I know this sounds bizarre, but just try it.

As far as being in a rut, I will do some really strange things. A favorite was always putting on a classical piece and playing along. Pick any part and try and figure it out. It will be funny how distinctive lines from classical will sneak into your playing. In an earlier thread, someone asked about music that lowdowners can post. In on, if you listen, in the intro of the song you will hear me quote Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm.

Just some thoughts... :thu:

You know, all of these suggestions are good. When my old band broke up, I went from playing 6 days a week, either rehearsing setlists orplaying live, to nothing. I was feeling pretty down in the dumps, and I didn't really feel like playing. My Uncle has been playing bass for a long time, so I asked him what he did when he didn't want to play. His answer surprised me. He said he didn't play. Then when he felt like playing -he did! He said what was neat about this, was that you forget alot of the "filler" riffs you might have made up just to doodle, but remember alot of the cooler ones. Of course, I am all for practicing as much as possible, but sometimes you have to put the bass DOWN and clear your head. Read a book, see a movie, etc. :thu:

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Great point... inspiration is all around us. I know that might sound weird, to someone who just wants to play bass better.

I'm a graphic designer. My favorite design firm says they get their inspiration from architecture. I guess this probably sounds a little abstract to some people.

All the suggestions are good. I especially like the idea of playing along with music you find completely different. It will give you some fresh ideas, it keeps you from getting rusty, and it also clears your head from all the riffs you are stuck on. Find some Afro-Cuban pop or country western or early ska, for example, and take a mnini-vacation.

Or try playing your music in a style completely different to your normal approach. Put runs in places where you used just hold it down, play in different places on the neck, try adding a different voice to the music you already play now.

I just saw that there is an album of Bob Dylan classics, as played by reggae artists (something that gets done a lot, if you didn't know...reggae groups love to remake classics in a reggae style). Maybe try reinterpretting your music into different styles like reggae etc.

Thanks everyone!

To be honest, my rut had been going for a while, but the last few days I have been more excited about bass. My non-bass problems have settled slightly, I am finally going to ebay some gear to get new stuff (been trying for 2 months, thought I would never get the new toys, pics scanned tonight, registered ebayer this morning: bncbass if you want to find me, set up auctions tomorrow). One thing that actually got me into music again was watching that American Idol show, but that is a whole nother thread.

Bassape- you nailed what happened to me. I went from playing live all the time to having no gigs or rehearsals (playing by myself had gotten boring).

Alembickoa- thanks for gogging my memory! I used to play along with the masters all the time, I'm gonna dust off the Bach cd's and work on that ear training.

Sometimes I would try to just turn on the radio and play with it, but most of what came on was so terrible that I would rather not play or hear it...but again, that is another thread. I think I will go throught the parents's record collection again...

Thanks for the help! :thu:

forgot a few things-

Part of what got me down was that I was very close to getting the new Warwick I have been pining for, but some other crap got in the way and it seemed I would never get it. Now that I am closing in on all of the gear I feel MUCH better, and am pretty darn excited- new bass and amp!

Also, I have been coming up with all sorts of lame excuses to not go to the Hole In The Wall on Thursday night, too tired, gotta work tomorrow, etc. This Thursday I'm going to jam with my buddies come hell, high water, falt tires, tornados (common down here), or even work Friday morning! ;)

Thanks again,

BNC

Originally posted by tim4003:

[. (this may also wreak havoc in heavy traffic) :D:thu:

In North Dakota????? :D [/QB]

Yes, you could put "The Club" security device on your steering wheel, go to sleep, and wake up 4 hours later and be at your destination! :D:D:D

God knows it's flat, and the only thing to look at on the drive is grass, and the highway!

Originally posted by BNC:

forgot a few things-

Also, I have been coming up with all sorts of lame excuses to not go to the Hole In The Wall on Thursday night, too tired, gotta work tomorrow, etc. This Thursday I'm going to jam with my buddies come hell, high water, falt tires, tornados (common down here), or even work Friday morning! ;)

Thanks again,

BNC

My Warwick instantly rocketed me into a higher plane. And I'm also real familiar with tired inspiration...seems like sitting around playing the same old ii-V's in the same old way. I jam weekly with a bunch of Jazz guys, it takes me all summer to get the slugs out of my brain.

I play regularly with a guitarist, Brent Rozell, who also jams at "The Hole In the Wall." You know him?

Luck,

Dave

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Davebrownbass- I have heard of Brent Rozell, but have never met him. My friend Peabody (harp player) jams with him alot and keeps trying to get me out there. I usually go on Thursdays to play with Kenny Traylor, Guthrie Kenard, and Doug Swansi... Guthrie is the bassist, and if you live in Dallas I am sure you have met, he is freinds with everybody :)

BNC

Archived