Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somebody Help!

Zack

So.....

I have been trying ALL DAY to transcribe Cream's "Wrapping Papers" for bass. I can't tell if I am right or not, especially the first 3 bars. Here is what I am hearing (just the progression, without the fills):

G-G-G-C-F-Bb-C-A-D-G-C-G

Am I even close? If anyone knows this tune, please help me out!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know it, and i noticed it's on the greatest hits CD. I've got a friend that has a big collection - I'll see if I can dig it up (out of curiousity as well as to help out). Let you know next week...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yes. The rest of us somehow missed the Jack Bruce thang. But it was just a flash in the pan...

OK, I'll put the CD on. Right after I figure out Neil Young's ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD. I've been hung up on that one for at least a week ; }

Zack,

Learn the augmented (seventh) chord for the G; that's where they typically function -- on the V chord. The Beatles used them too. Most pop groups haven't because it isn't in a barre ; }... Then add dominant sevenths to all those circle-of-fourths/fifths trips, which you basically have the roots down for now.

I'll listen closer later.

Zack, forgot to mention that the FIFTH in an augmented chord is up a half step from the usual note. So in your example, the G ROOT of the second chord would have D# (Eb) as its FIFTH, with the usual B for the THIRD.

Thanks for the tip, greenboy! I never really looked at the 7th chord on the G or any other root; now, I see all kinds of examples! Upon closer inspection, I found that the Beatles, Stones, Byrds, etc. all used the 7th in a ton of their songs (Lennon-McCartney especially). I will now go apply that knowledge to the Cream, & thanks again, greenboy!

hey zack,

well, the aug (augmented) concept is actually a biggie too, and it causes conflicts if you aren't using it when others are -- unlike just adding a dom seven to a triad. Another example of an aug off the top of my head from people you mentioned here: the intro (and breaks) on OH DARLING on Abbey Road.

Archived