Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

kinda OT - Pink Floyd question

Ryan Griffith

I know this isn't bass related, hence the notice in the subject. I'm trying to figure out what kind of effect Waters used on his vocals in "Sheep" (not the computer voice part, but the verse, where his voice sustains forever & gets all distorted.) There's no vocal forum or anything here, so if anybody could point me in the right direction, as I'd like to see if my band can cover this tune! That & satify my curiosity. :D

Thanks, all!

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe it's a synthesizer doubling the the vocal. So, for instance, on the line, "Bleating and babbling I fell on his neck with a scream...." as Roger holds the note on "scream" the synth is playing the same note, which is faded up and eventually overtakes the vocal line. (Even if that's not exactly how they did it at Britannia Row Studios, it would work for your live version.) I always loved that effect. Amazing headphone experience.

I agree with Eric because I read somewhere that Waters doubled the vocal line with the synth (probably the S3), and used tape effects, EQ, and loops to mesh the voice and synth. A great effect, and a great song.

Archived