Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phenolic fingerboards

Ryan Griffith

Hey gang,

hope you're all having a great memorial day weekend! I, however, am stuck at work. :(

I picked up an MTD Heir 5-string a little over a month ago, and love the hell out of the thing! MTD offers the Kingston series as a fretless, but it has a phenolic fingerboard. Anybody have any experience with these? How's the tone? Will roundwounds chew it up? Any info on this from the masses is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that Phenolic was a synthetic material that is used as a simulated wood on graphite basses like Zon and Modulus. I assumed that, as a synthetic, it should be pretty durable. Please correct me if I am wrong, this is just a vague memory blip and some assumptions :) Try to contact the company or an experienced luthier that you trust to get the best answer.

BNC

phenolic is indeed more resistant to wera than rosewood, sy- the idea is to make using roundwounds easier by reducing wear- for me, personally at least- i prefer the roundwound fretless sound

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

phenolic is indeed more resistant to wera than rosewood, sy- the idea is to make using roundwounds easier by reducing wear- for me, personally at least- i prefer the roundwound fretless sound
Adrian,

I remember you said the fretless Kingstons sounded good, but I decided to do a little survey & get a general consensus too. :) I agree with you about rounds on a fretless, but I also like the warm sound of wood. This confirms I'm a true gear junkie... I only just picked the heir up a month & a bit ago & I'm already thinking about a fretless kingston! :rolleyes: I could probably afford it in a few months if i sell a couple basses, including my current fretless. I need to thin out my collection anyways. I wish Tobias made the heirs fretless! Thanks for the input, man.

:thu:

Regards,

~Griff

Phenolic boards are a composite made to simulate ebony but be more durable and consistent. They are essentially a compressed wood impregnated with phenolic resin. I have phenolic boards on my Zons and use nothing but roundwounds, they sound great and show no wear.

Archived