Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

amp buzz problem??

groovehead

I have an Ampeg BA 115 combo that develops an intermittant buzz. It seems that on occaision, it will start to put out a low volume buzz sound that drives me crazy. I have noticed that it only does it when I have the bass facing the amp. This is not the kind of soft hiss that many amps produce when not grounded properly. It is indeed a buzz. The other thing is it only does it with my ESP bass. I have a few other active basses of equal quality that dont cause it to buzz. It seems to be some sort of interference with the active electronics in this bass. Any ideas on what can be causing this?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you get the same buzz when you get close to a computer monitor or TV? If so it is wether shielding (can be fixed) or you have single coils (you have to live with it or change the pups).

Carl 1266,

I just tried it and I do get a buzz when I stand next to the TV (only when it is on). I have EMG soapbars in the bass. I have read that these are very good pickups but I dont know if they are single coil or double. I would guess they are double. Again, I am not much of a tech head so I dont pay much attention to that sort of thing. I just know the bass sounds extremely good. :D

Any way, what is the weather sheilding? If it is the foil backing on the inside of the electronics cover, I looked at it and it doesnt look damaged in any way. :confused:

If just the cover of the electronics is shielded, try to shield the whole area. You can do that with foil or paint. I think that has been covered here before. Try a search. Also you might want to check (or get it checked) the weires if ALL are shielded. sometimes this makes a big difference.

I think the EMG are humbucker but I am not sure if they are 100% quiet. If you love the sound, you might have to live with it. But it is probably still better than single coils.

There are too many variables inside a bass that can cause that directional hum. The pickups, the shielding, the active circuit, etc. If the hum is bad on one bass and not on another, it's somewhere in the control cavity. Be sure the shielding is connected to the bridge as well. And double check your cable...

I have a bass with 2 pickups. One has a small hum while the other is awful loud !! In my case, it's just the pickup. One of these days...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Sounds like a shielding problem. while the shielding may look adequate, alot of lower end basses skimp on the electronics, and the shielding may just need to be replaced. Check the ground as well(it should be attached to your bridge underneath) to make sure it is a good connection. Before you try all this though, try using a different outlet, moving away from any neon or blacklights, and making sure the outlet you are using has a ground. :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

I have an ESP C305 with those EMG soapbars and it is very quiet. The shielding should be adequate.

I would strongly suspect your ground lead. One of the solder joints on my jack let go pretty easily not long ago, so hopefully this is all that happened with your ground. Just poke aroung the cavity and you should find the problem.

OK. I have checked the cavity and there are no loose wires. Additonally, there is black paint on the botto of the cavity actings as a shield but not the sides. I coveres the sides with aluminum foil and the buzz has gone away for now. But, remember this is an intermittent problem so only time will tell. The bass itself is not what I would consider low end. It retailed new for $900+. So, I dont think they are cheap electronics. Anyway, thanks for all the help.

I notice that I get some buzz from my Nemesis 210 when it's cranked way up, but I don't get to play it that loud very often anyway. My Amer. Deluxe Zone has a split-coil and soapbar humbucker, both active, so maybe that's part of the problem. It's not enough of a distraction to warrent doing anything about it, I'm mostly a "desk" bassist anyway. There is a TV and a PC monitor within 6 feet of the amp.
just makin dem wood chips hea in South Texas

i have a zoom BFX708 effects pedal, which has a function to remove that buzz... it's great i love it!
- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Archived