Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ray Price

rhrocker

Saw Ray Price last night at a concert at Garner Park, in central Texas. He puts on a great show. I think he's about 75 now. His bass player's URB was amplified, but he left just after the concert so I couldn't find out much about it. Sounded really good. Bass players name is Chapman, from San Antonio. Anyone know of him?
just makin dem wood chips hea in South Texas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno who Mr. Chapman is, but I'll bet he's good.

My first bass teacher, the incomparable Ed Garcia, played for Ray Price in the early '70's.

Ed was a North Texas Lab Band alumnus, who also studied classical URB and cello at NTSU (now University of NOrth Texas.) This was when that school was acclaimed at one of the hottest jazz schools in the country. (And, I think, David Hungate was there at the same time...my memory fails me)

Ed has the most incredible bowed tone I've ever heard live. So I would suspect that your bass playing country guy is a closet classical player and/or jazzer with a pretty high pedigree.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Wow...didn't know he was still alive...

Ray Price sure brings back some memories. Good to hear he's still crooning.

Who were some of the other great country crooners? The late Jim Reeves comes to mind. Eddy Arnold...is he still alive?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Back in the late 80's I was living in Nashville, and got a call at about 3:30 in the morning from a friend that said Mr. Prices's bass player's father had passed on and they needed someone to fill in for that night, needless to say, I took it, and it is still one of my favorite memories. Is Goldie still the keyboard player?

Hexbass, I honestly don't know who was playing the piano, I'll find the program and see. I was concentrating on the bass so much I had tunnel vision I guess.

Yes, Andy was indeed outstanding on the keys! That whole band was really something else, even triple fiddles. Maybe you can ask Andy (nest time you run into him) about the bass player, I'd like to drop him a note.

Originally posted by rhrocker:

Yes, Andy was indeed outstanding on the keys! That whole band was really something else, even triple fiddles. Maybe you can ask Andy (nest time you run into him) about the bass player, I'd like to drop him a note.

let me send him an email....

andy sent me a reply:

Date: Thursday, June 06, 2002 01:22:39 AM

To: nojazzloco@yahoo.com

Subject: Re: Ray P

Cool chat group. Bass player is Alan Chapman, AKA "Conway." Lives out in

Medina, (near Bandera), he's one of the best country bass players in Texas. Extremely good

time, tone, and taste. He's played and recorded with nearly every famous

Texas based country star including Willie Nelson, Johnny Bush, Johnny

Rodriguez, etc........

Archived