Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SVT pains

BNC

I have used an SVT-CL (all tube) head for 4 years. On a gig Friday night the tubes went out. I am having totally retubed with top notch Groove Tubes for $500!!!

I am thinking of selling it, I don't want to spend $120 a year on maintenace, be screwed on a gig with an unreliable amp, and most importantly hurt my back. I found my family has a history of back problems, my 21 year old sister has a herniated disk and had never lugged around something like an SVT. I don't want to end up like her or my grandmothers.

Just from looking at spec sheets, the SVT 4 pro sounds good (especially at 40lbs instead of 80). Please voice your opinions and experiences with these amps or any others you care to recommend, I will greatly appreciate it :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't get upset with them tubes....,

just a personal prospective here, I had an old Trace Elliot rig that I aquired when I was a mere 15yrs old (loved them pretty lights!, & hey I young! :D ) which served me a very hard 4 yrs on the road, then one night boom! the valves all started to die within weeks of each other....

I was lucky to get some Fender valves (US made) that sounded great (not easy to get in Oz), but at the end of the day when I quit Sydney I realized that this rig (one of 3 I owned at the time) had served me well for 15yrs ! and I sold it off with much sadness & tears on my second last gig in that town,

to be honest one of the new 6 Fender valves died soon after I put 'em in (so I just pulled it out) but as I was running full power on 5 valves instead of 6 there was a distortion element I just loved, & got used to & used. It was that over-driven valve sound, and yes I still miss it today! no chance of that with the current set-up {bummer}

I guess what I am trying to say here is... don't sell it off to soon, I only replaced the valves once, and the accident was better that the perfect sound for me, just try to be open minded about how you hear your "voice"...

i hope this helps some.....

peace,

natty http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/fk/butterfly.gif

Those of us old enough (damn it - where's that cane? :bor: ) to remember when lots of electronic gear had tubes know that they do burn out. These units do require maintenance. They do fail after being banged too hard (don't ask me how hard is too hard). Whether in televisions, radios, or amplifiers, that's the nature of tubes. You can do some preventative maintenance by changing them on your own schedule rather than wait for them to die at a gig. I don't own a tube amp today, so others will chime in to say how they handle this.

I'm not familiar with your amp, or tube prices. You said you are "having it retubed" - by a technician? It's not a bad idea to have someone look at your equipment from time to time, but my gut (not substantiated by facts) is that you could have swapped the tubes yourself for less. If I'm wrong about that, sorry.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have used SVTs for most of the last 25 years, and currently have two SVT-CLs with 810E cabs. I haven't experienced any degree of unreliability with any of my old ones in the '70s or the two new version CLs. The user-friendly bias adjustments on the rear panel of the CL should enable you to tell when you're in need of a retubing, as you should find yourself having to tweak them as the tubes begin to fade. Power tubes should last under normal playing conditions about 2 years, and getting caught with bad tubes is generally due to user error. I retubed all (6) 6550s and 12AX7/12AU7 preamp tubes in one SVT-CL with Svetlanas for under $120 last year, so at $500, somebody got burned.

The weight is the only serious issue with a great tube amp IMO, and the unparalleled sound far outweighs even that concern. NO hybrid can adequately emulate a real all-tube amp, and SVT is the standard by which all others are measured.

tubes sound great, but weight and retubing costs do indeed suck. i was tickled pink with my svt3 which has considerably less power than the svt4. and it sonded JUST like the all tube version. the problem with most hybrids (like the hartke for example) is that they have a solid state preamp in there as well and the two are blendable. aside from hartke amps sucking, the combination doesn't work. ampeg got it right with theirs though. try one out, i'm sure you'll be satisfied. and the money you get selling your old svt on ebay will pretty much pay for the new one.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Thanks for all the responses!

I don't remember who said it, but I too purchased the SVT purely for power and tone, I would just deal with the cost of maintainance and weight. Unfourtunatly, my sister has a herniated disk in her back (no, she does not carry my amp, but it would be nice ;) . The problem is that bad backs run in my family, and I don't want to be next. I feel it strain my back when I lift it face high to place it on my amp (not a problem if you are 6'5" like the guy at the guitar store, different when you are 5'5"). The sound is awsome, but so is being able to bend over and tie my shoes (even though I usually wear boots). I will use the SVT for the time being while I consider and try to sell it and check out what other amps are available. I am greatful for all of the input!!!

THanks,

Ben

I love the all tube SVT's (a lot of veterans call them the 'real' SVT's - LOL) but I can understand your reasoning in wanting to get rid of it. There are plenty of high powered, good sounding heads out there that weigh a LOT less.

Just don't get ripped off when you go to sell it or trade it in. If it's in good shape and good working order you shouldn't take too much of a hit on it, unless you overpaid for it to begin with. They tend to hold their value very well as there are still a lot of guys out there (myself included) who like the tone they produce.

Later..................

I recnetly purchased a breand new SVt-4Pro. It was either this or the all tube SVT-2Pro. I went with the 1200 watt SVT-4, hands down. It has a great tube preamp section and sounded almost identical to the SVT-2. Awesome sounding. And add awesome sound with infinite headroom. This amp contines to amaze me everytime I power it up. And yes I have had an SVT-3Pro which is basically the little brother(450 watt little bro!)to this amp and also sounds just as good. Ampegs SVT lineup just cannot be beat by ANY company for sound,reliability,power,build quality, etc etc the list goes on and on. 2 thumbs up WAY UP on this one!

There are tools for moving heavy things, handtrucks (with pneumatic tires is easier on the gear), lifts, etc.

An old Ampeg V4B gets you the tone at a lesser volume, but if you have an efficient cab and are micing it for the PA, or just aren't playing really loud, it;s a very good solution, much lighter, and cheaper to retube.

Having the amp precision biased and that by an exceptional tech will result in the longest tube life...

Also, use the standby to allow the amp to warm up and cool down for a solid minute each, and don't move the amp for a few minutes after shutting it down.

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived