Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Try one for yourself...

BassPlaya

So a little while back I was in line to buy myself a new Axe. I was looking at spending not much more than a grand. I checked out some Warwicks some Fenders, Musicman...so on and so on. Nothing was really grabbin' me the right way. Then I came across a new bass by Peavey...yes I said Peavey. For anyone who has yet to come across one of there "Cirrus" models, let me tell you they are nasty. The wood work is amazing, the 5 piece neck couldn't have played any faster, super low action (just how I like it) and the tone that this thing produced was amazing.

Now I could have never imagined that I would ever find myself buying a Peavey but let me tell you I snatch it up right there. I payed about $1200 bills for it and its worth every penny. Anyway just though I'd share my thoughts, wondering if anyone else out there has tried one out. Let me know what you think.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried one a while back. It didn't feel right to me, and the action was too low for me to test it effectively. Just not my taste.

I agree that the woodwork, hardware, and sound were quite fine. There is a store near me that has a few in stock with different finishes, and they all look wonderful. A quality instrument.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have to admit, I have never had any luck with peaveys. I had one a while ago, a cheaper model for sure, didnt like it. I am curious to try a higher end model and see how it sounds/feels. Sounds like it might be nice, I like lower action as well (small hands for a bassplayer). A friend of mine has a peavey, I like his mids, but, the feel is horrible.

Reed

http://amkickstand.tripod.com

I will second the vote for Peavey. They have really stepped up in the past few years.

Two years ago I was in the market for a high-end bass. My friend had a Ken Smith that was awsome and I had tried out Lakland, Lull, Kinal... and a whole bunch of high-end basses. I was ready to plop down 2-3K when a friend of a friend let me use his Peavey Cirrus. The Cirrus was absolutely incredible, from the wood selection to the craftsmanship to the sound and functionality of the eq. The only problem that I had was that the bass was a....Peavey. I went back and played the Smith and a few other of the high-enders and came to the conclusion that the Cirrus was in every way just as good, if not better in some areas, than most of the other high-enders. What made it even better was that the Cirrus started at just over 1K. A week later I had my Cirrus 5 string, flamed redwood top, pao ferro fretboard. I have to tell you that I am extremely impressed with this bass, it has been my main bass now for two years. Ive played many different styles all over the world and the Cirrus keeps on tickin.

I was so impressed with the Cirrus line that about 9 months ago I bought one of their graphite neck basses, aka. G Bass. Again, this bass is incredible. Now I trade off gigs between my Cirrus and G bass.

If you havent taken a look at the high-end Peavey stuff it would be well worth your while, they are making some great bass stuff for about 1/2 the price of the name brands.

ikestr

...hertz down low....

Not perfect construction, but as good as you'll find in the under $1000; good bass overall.

I thought the preamp on the Cirrus was a little too "hyperactive;" lots of zingy high end, which is good for fusion, funk and solo playing, but perhaps a bit much for basic rock-n-roll.

Archived