Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the age old question, 4 strings or 5

Jay J.

I have been considering for some time now if I sould make my next bass a five string. I have been playing a 4 stringer for 3 years now and am woundering what the benifits of that extra string are. I know it is a matter of personal preference, but I am just not real sure on the matter. it would be nice to have both, but if I am spending around a grand on a bass, I don't know if I should get a 4 or a 5.

just looking for some different opinions on the matter.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bro, its 5-string all the way. The only think that a 4-string is better for is slapping, an dsince you already have a four, you have that covered. Five strings offers you greater range; the heavier neck and body required for that low-B gives the instrument as a whole better resonance; it justs looks better. If you wanted to, I'd even suggest making that new bass a fretless...
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

i have heard of 4 stringers that are tuned like the 5,DAEB- might be a good compromise, leave that little skinny string for the geetar heroes. i'm interested in hearing what the local pros think abt these rigs, my band uses keys like g and c alot, also e-flat is considered sweet key for zydeco, i don't like the string spacing on 5-strings and if the low fours are not just a rumor could someone who has played one give some feedback

I just got a five and I love it. I'd never give up my four but it's great to be able to switch off. The four is great for slapping and higher fret work, the five is great for keeping the low groove going. You never have to reach above your fourth fret on a five. It's pretty cool to have one of each. Maybe a six... :D

i always played a 4 string up until like 6 years ago,the band i was in did a few songs with "D" tuning ,which i opted for a 5 string and i wont go back to a 4,they make 5-string basses in many neck thicknesses,, if you want to add that "rumble/sustain"", hit the B string- E (5th fret) on a 5 string and you'll know, :D , :D ,, good-luck... :wave:
i know alot but dont know everything.. :D

Get an inexpensive used 5 string off Ebay in the $200-300 range and see if you like it. I can't imagine you wouldn't but if it doesn't work out you can sell it and not lose a bunch. If you want to spend more money the first time around, 5 String Stingrays can be had for $700-800 on Ebay all day long and they sound and play great. You'll get addicted to that low B in a hurry I promise you.

Jimbones5 has some good ideas.

I have a 5-string fretless Stingray and love it. Great to have the flexibility of the low B. However, remember that cats like Victor, Marcus, Jaco, Stanley, Bootsy, Louis J., Chris Squire and others of note rip crazily on 4.

But, as said earlier, if you already have a 4, why not experiment and see if you like a 5.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

All my basses are 4 strings, but I've been getting SERIOUS GAS for a Mike Lull Modern 5V...oooooohhhh...

If you want a 5, go ahead and get one...why not? They have all the notes that a 4 string has, so it's not like you'll be missing anything, outside of learning to mute an extra string.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

[QB]All my basses are 4 strings, but I've been getting SERIOUS GAS for a Mike Lull Modern 5V...oooooohhhh...QB]

My main bass is a Lull M5, best bass I've ever owned/played.

I was a dedicated 4-stringer for a lot of years; I had all kinds of handy arguments for why I only needed a four-string.

Two years ago, I picked up a Stingray 5 - in part because I had just moved to a new city and was starting out again with gigs, etc. I hung onto my 4-string MusicMan Sabre ... but I'm sad to say that, as great a bass as it is, it has been to maybe two gigs and one recording session since I got my five.

It's interesting too that, since I got a 5-string bass, I find myself thinking not one bit about WHY I play one ... whereas when I was playing a 4, I always felt like I needed to be able to justify it to cats who had 5s, or band members who asked why I didn't have a 5.

It did take me some time to get used to playing a five-string instrument (I played classical cello for 15 years before even starting on electric bass, so five strings seemed really unnatural) ... but like most things, it's just a matter of time and practice.

I have 4, 5 and 6 string basses and each has its place.

The 6 is my main bass, it is versatile and I can do most things on it - including the odd slap passage.

The 5 is fretless with a high C - that is my method of singing, real cool.

When I teach the 4 is invaluable as my 6 has no fingerboard dots and is really hard to follow for my students. The other advantage is that when I am doing heavy slap stuff the feeling of freedom on the 4 is AMAZING.

Clarity: see if you can find an early Ibanez 5 (a Roadstar) or Yamaha 5 (BB 5000). Both of these are quite narrow and would easily suit someone with small hands. I have a Roadstar that I had converted to fretless and it is easily the narrowest 5 I have ever seen.

Hmmmmm...........

I switched to an MTD Beast 5 last summer after playing a Precision for 30 years. Now whenever I pick up a 4 I feel like something is missing, and it seems like a lot of work to go back to all those 5-fret jumps that you have to make on a 4 string. Also, the wider neck and 35" scale make for a better low tone than any 4 I've played.

The MTD neck is wide but the asymmetrical shape helps a lot. I have very small hands and it took a while to figure out good "wrist posture" in my fretting hand. I also had to start floating my plucking-hand thumb, but that came easy.

I also have a short (34") narrow (11/16" string spacing) Fernandes 5 string. It's a great bass, but even with my small hands the string spacing feels claustrophobic, so I always go back to the MTD. (I defretted the Fernandes and now my son has it.)

Personally I have no desire for a 6, since I don't play up high very much and because of my hand size. But now I understand why people like them.

Moral of the story: I wonder why I didn't switch to 5 strings years ago!

Hey wait a minute. Who says you can't slap on a Five? In fact, there's nothin like thumping and bumping that B.

I agree that four gives better string spacing for slap, but I haven't had any probs slapping E

Spider

The only thing that I wonder about is the weight of a 5 vs a 4. Does anyone find themselves having more fatigue or taking more breaks? I have a 4-string PBass Lyte and its like a whole different instrument from a physical standpoint.

Hi.

I'll go against the grain here. I don't like 5-string basses. That big-ass "B" string gets in my way, and I think the super duper low notes are annoying. I really prefer the simplicity of four strings. Then again, I also prefer my passive P-bass to the "boutique" stuff with all the knobs and switches. I also refuse to slap -- haha. Four fingers, one pick, two knobs, four strings -- no waiting. Thank you, drive through.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

"The only thing that I wonder about is the weight of a 5 vs a 4. Does anyone find themselves having more fatigue or taking more breaks?" - Gilmanta

next time I'll figure out how to post with quotes!

Weight depends Strictly on the bass - a Tobias Growler 5 is a feather compared to some Fender 4s - has nothing to do with string count, it's in the body/neck woods.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by CMDN:

Hi.

I'll go against the grain here. I don't like 5-string basses. That big-ass "B" string gets in my way, and I think the super duper low notes are annoying. I really prefer the simplicity of four strings. Then again, I also prefer my passive P-bass to the "boutique" stuff with all the knobs and switches. I also refuse to slap -- haha. Four fingers, one pick, two knobs, four strings -- no waiting. Thank you, drive through.

My next will be a 5, but I can understand about the simplicity. I'm looking forward to moving across instead of down the neck. I'm sure it will take me a while to adjust. And I barely slap at all as well.

The thing that I really don't get is all the knobs and switches, but that's not limited to 5's. On many basses I try, those knobs and switches do very little to the sound.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

My next will be a 5, but I can understand about the simplicity. I'm looking forward to moving across instead of down the neck. I'm sure it will take me a while to adjust. And I barely slap at all as well.

The thing that I really don't get is all the knobs and switches, but that's not limited to 5's. On many basses I try, those knobs and switches do very little to the sound.

To clarify, I'm not against the 5-string -- I just don't like them for my music. To be honest, playing four strings is enough of a challenge for me. Adding more would just make me feel dumber than I already do. One of my buddies has a lovely 5-sring Tobias, and he loves it. Whenever I try to mess with it, I wind up with massive feelings of inadequacy, because the strings and neck feel weird to me. Too much stuff. Who needs that? I'll stick with four. Give me more than four strings and I can't keep track of my bodily functions.

And what IS up with all those knobs, switches and pull-pots? Man, I have no clue what to do with those. Like you said, Tom, I can never tell what they're supposed to do. ACK. Keep it simple! P-Basses = two knobs. Volume & Tone. More than that and I'm pissing on my shoes again.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

This is a good point. The extra-low notes need to be used in context. If you're mostly into more the vintage, old-school vibe, going below E (or maybe low D) usually doesn't sound particularly cool.

The low B becomes more relevant if you're trying to push the envellope & sound more contemporary. Most genres have embraced 5-strings to a certain extent, but it definitely gives it a "late 90's / early '00s" edge. Modern dance/rave music seems to use low C#, C and B fairly often, so I find the low B is especially useful for covering that material.

As far as weight is concerned, the body material and neck width seem to make a big difference. I've used some 5-strings that were very reasonable in weight. My current one (with an extra wide neck and heavy alder body) is ridiculously heavy -- worse, in fact, than the notorious '70s Jazz.

Originally posted by CMDN:

To clarify, I'm not against the 5-string -- I just don't like them for my music. To be honest, playing four strings is enough of a challenge for me. Adding more would just make me feel dumber than I already do. One of my buddies has a lovely 5-sring Tobias, and he loves it. Whenever I try to mess with it, I wind up with massive feelings of inadequacy, because the strings and neck feel weird to me. Too much stuff. Who needs that? I'll stick with four. Give me more than four strings and I can't keep track of my bodily functions.

\

Not trying to convert you CMDN ... but two thoughts on your comments.

I felt TOTALLY annoyed with 5-strings before I owned one. Part of the problem was that, although I am crummy at flashy solos, I pride myself on good tone and tasty note choice. To pick up a "bass" and have ALL of my instincts rendered useless (I found myself fretting one string while picking a different one - eegh) was really unnerving. All I can say is that although it took a bit of time to adjust, it happened.

I also agree that the super-low pitches can really be distracting in certain types of music. Particularly when it runs THROUGHOUT a song. I tend not to play many sub-D notes in my "main" grooves. But I've also discovered that having the extra lower register allows me to give songs an "overdrive" in choice spots.

Like this: You've established the groove of a song, and everyone has heard the chorus a few times already - but then you drop the octave (or even just invert the groove to include lower notes) on the double chorus at the end, or on the tag going out ... believe me - at that point, you RULE the house.

Absolutely right - you don't NEED it, but man, is it fun!

Music man...

I hear ya. I probably should be more open to the potential horizons different musical tools could offer me, but I just can't seem to get my head around a 5-string. It just feels weird to me. I use some of the ideas you've mentioned (inverted grooved in lower octaves, note displacement, etc)... I just do it in the range available to me.

Anyway, I play bass in kind of an "old-school," rootsy rock band, so my 4-string P-bass fits right in with no problems. Oddly enough, a buddy uses my rig and bass for my other band (a modern hardcore/metal thing), and it fits THAT act perfectly as well. Funny old world, huh?

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Hey,

I played 4 strings for about 4-5 years, and mainly fretless at that, until I joined a funk band and needed that fretted punch. Was just a punk kid on a budget, and found an Ibanez Roadstar II 5 string (the same bass Greybass mentioned)for $300.00 (this was 1987.) I have played this bass ever since, and have used it for everything from reggae to country to pop to r&b/soul to prog rock, in situations from frat parties to NYC studios, and have always been happy.

The first night I had it I had to play a gig, and boy did I suck! :( The extra string really threw me for a loop. Within a week or so, it just seemed natural to me, just another part of the bass to play. Recently I found a duplicate of this bass on eBay for less than $250.00, which for an active circuit ebony fingerboard 24 fret 5 string is a smokin' deal.

Your best bet is to play as many basses as you can, in 4-, 5-, and even 6-string models, and find the one that feels right to you.When I first bought the Roadstar, I anticipated the future need for a 5-string, and factored that into my choice. Think ahead about where and how you plan to develop as a player. You never know, a 4-string that fits and feels better than what you play now may be what you really need.

Sorry about the length of this missive, hope it helps.

Good Luck...

wraub

"I'm here to play bass. Get out of my way."

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

After a week-long transition period, the 5-string became very natural-feeling. On my Ibanez, the strings are relatively close together, which took a little getting used to, not to mention the extra string throwing me off. In the end, the tighter string proximity makes things smoother, IMO.

I'll be honest, I rarely use those lower 4 notes. Too muddy. The B string really gets handy when you are walking around mid-neck and can get back down to the lower roots just by jumping to the lower string instead of moving your hand back up toward the headstock. It lets you think more melodically (?)...easily shaping your patterns over wider chords and scales. I think that re-analyzing the way I played the instrument made me a better musician (a relative measure at best).

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

Originally posted by wraub:

The first night I had it I had to play a gig, and boy did I suck! :(

m yfirst experience with a five was at a gig. the guy in the opening act had a 5-string stingray and it just looked so cool i had to try it. he had been eyeing my 4-string ibanez and we decided to swap for the night. i looked like an asshole. he nailed his set and seemed like a monster, i kept riding that low B thinking it was my E and was off for half the set before i got used to it.

then, i broke the ibanez: time to shop for a new bass (i know, what a chore, right?) i wound up wit a G&L L1500 and it was the greatest thing i've ever played. the tonal versatility of the G&L plus the sonic range of the 5 was a killer combination.

then, it got stolen. :cry: iam now playing on a 4 string that a friend of mine was super-cool enough to loan to me until i got another instrument of my own. i find myself playing a lot of super melancholy blues in Eminor and i hate not having the space to drop below E on a fill. i realize that plenty of bass players far better than i have done very well in the same genre and key, but i just don't think it sounds as right to go up in that setting.

aaaaaaaaaaanyway, get the 5. you already have a 4.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived