Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tobias basses any good??

basspatient

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tobias in general are very good. But it depends on which "Tobias" you're looking at.

A brand new Tobias from MusicYo.com is made in Korea, a good bass with positive "bang for the buck" reviews.

Includes Toby Deluxe, Toby Pro.

The previous generation were US made by Gibson - included the Growler, Classic, Renegade, Killer Bee and a couple other models. Michael Tobias worked closely with Gibson, and these are excellent basses.

Search this site for more info - there have been other posts way in the past. Personally, I have a Toby Deluxe 4, it suits me fine - but someday I will probably defret this one and invest in a pro-quality bass.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by NuB-bass:

Tobias in general are very good. But it depends on which "Tobias" you're looking at.

A brand new Tobias from MusicYo.com is made in Korea, a good bass with positive "bang for the buck" reviews.

Includes Toby Deluxe, Toby Pro.

The previous generation were US made by Gibson - included the Growler, Classic, Renegade, Killer Bee and a couple other models. Michael Tobias worked closely with Gibson, and these are excellent basses.

Search this site for more info - there have been other posts way in the past. Personally, I have a Toby Deluxe 4, it suits me fine - but someday I will probably defret this one and invest in a pro-quality bass.

Cool thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get one. I think that I might pick up the Toby Pro 4 as well. I'm going to play one tomorrow to check it out.

Thanks again.

"But she dies.....just like suicide"

I've seen reviews, and seen various Tobias basses in stores. My problem is that I don't have the chronology memorized, and the further away you get from Michael Tobias influence, the less you should probably expect. That's not to say that the basses sold at musicyo are bad, because they seem to be a good value. I guess it's just that when I walk into a store and see a Tobias on the wall, I can never figure out whether the price is right because I can't figure out what vintage it is :confused: . I also think highly of MTD Americans, and I guess it confuses me to see Tobias made by somebody else.

It may be that others here suffer from that bit of confusion (or maybe not), and that might account for the lack of response.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I Had a growler from the Gibson era and it was a great bass. Although Steve Azola (bass builder) had to actually move the bridge to properly intonate it. I trust Steve and the bass sounded fine. I sold it to my buddy and the pre-amp died so he put in a Bartolini pre-amp to match the pick ups. But all in all it played great and sounded very decent.

Archived