Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Levine's Jazz Theory book

Ryan Griffith

Folks, I give you my word that this isn't a repeat thread to the best of my knowledge! My question is what level does one need to be at to be able to work with mark Levine's Jazz Theory book? Intermediate? Advanced? I've taken a couple semesters of theory a few years ago & and studying with a teacher, so I'm hoping it's not out of reach for me here, and I've had enough exposure to keyboards to know one note from the other, and can play some chords, but that's about all I can say about it. Thanks for the info!

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by McGryff:

Folks, I give you my word that this isn't a repeat thread to the best of my knowledge! My question is what level does one need to be at to be able to work with mark Levine's Jazz Theory book? Intermediate? Advanced? I've taken a couple semesters of theory a few years ago & and studying with a teacher, so I'm hoping it's not out of reach for me here, and I've had enough exposure to keyboards to know one note from the other, and can play some chords, but that's about all I can say about it. Thanks for the info!

You'll be fine.
"Word to your mother"

I used this book for years, having discovered it while studying jazz in college...

Seriously, this is one of the best jazz theory books I've ever seen... I even began using it to teach jazz to my bass students.

Buy it, read it, live by it... keep it under your pillow at night and hope to assimillate it my osmosis (I think I misspelled that entire phrase)... you get the point. Its a fantastic, informative, well laid out tome of total mad knowledge.

Yes, great book. You will be fine. I'd call it "intermediate". But if you understand what a basic triad is, you'll be ok.

My questions is: Does Sher Pub. plan on putting out a CD that includes all of the samples sited in the book? Would that be too royalty cost prohibitive? It sure would be more affordable for me!!!

I'm an old rusty ex music major (28 years ago!) and I haven't ever seen anything better for jazz theory than Levine's tome other than Aebersold play along stuff.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Thanks for all the replies folks! I ordered said book & hopefully it'll arrive next week. I'm taking lessons & I'll likely bring the book in from time to time to discuss w/ my teacher. He said it was a great book too (didn't get to talk to him before I started the thread!) but he'd lost his copy. I really want to get this theory stuff in the ol' brain. If this keeps up i might have to cave in & go back to school for music! :D

Regards,

~Griff

Regards,

~Griff

Archived