Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

general theory books

Ryan Griffith

I'm thinking of getting a beginner theory book for my guitarist, who's a self-taught player, and his knowledge of general theory is lacking in areas. I took a peek around a couple online bookstores, but there are dozens of choices. Do any of you know of a good, practical theory book? It doens't have to be geared just toward guitar, although that wouldn't be bad either. He's expressed (at times) a willingness to learn and even take classes, but he's always broke. A little help would be appreciated!

:D

Trying to rid the world of one more ignorant guitarist & replace him with a skilled one,

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try Dave Stewart's Music Theory for Musicians. It's about 100 - 150 pages and covers the basics very well. You can find it in most bookstores for under $15 USD.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Master Theory by Charles Peters and Paul Yoder is a series of workbooks (1-9) so you can get going with minimal money ($5 or so). I'm a beginner and the first 3 books really helped me get my head screwed on straight!
Feel the POWER, the Rumble. Was that an earthquake?! No, it's just my BASS!

Archived