Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

De Armond basses

Ryan Griffith

Heya Gang,

In my impoverished financial state, I like to check otu cheap basses. I own 3 MIM Fenders, and like them just fine, for what it's worth. Especially after they upgraded the pickups this year! :D Anyways, I was looking around for the De Armond Pilot 5-strings, and I don't see them linked form Fender's site anymore, nor do I see 'em at Musicians' Enemy anymore... They still have a website, but I wasn't sure if anybody knew what was up. Did they buy out their Fender association or something? Just curious as to if they're still around or anything. And if anyone has a Pilot 5-string and could tell me what you think of it, that'd be groovy. Thanks!

:)

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met a guy at a GC one night who told me that he loved his. He's a guitar player, but had a gig in a band as a bass player, and like the guitar very much. We sat down to jam (me on the DeArmond, him on a 4 digit Les Paul), and I thought it felt pretty good.

Sorry I have no info on the fate of the company.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I played a Dean 5 that went for $599 at Sam Ash. It may have been a Dean Edge Q 5 - it had easy access to the 24th fret. I thought it sounded and played well.

Happy hunting!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I went to GC a few months ago and it seemed every DeArmond was on sale. If they don't have one at your store (assuming there might be one near you) ask them to find you one at another GC. Good Luck to you. By the way, there are some inexpensive 5 strings at MusicYo!.com . Just a plug. If you don't mind not playing it first in order to save bucks. I love my Kramer I got from them. :P
Feel the POWER, the Rumble. Was that an earthquake?! No, it's just my BASS!

Tom, dcwhat?,

Thanks again for the suggestions! I tried a Dean a couple years back & I liked it, but I've become alot less fond of humbuckers in most cases. I try to give each bass a fair shake, but I like my single coils, noise & all. I tried a Fender Jazz V deluxe & really disliked the pickups... very bland. I still have to try one of the MIM 5-strings too. If I can't find a good 5, I'll just replace the pickups in my MIM 4-string & add a J-retro I guess.

:)

Regards,

~Griff

As far as I know, De Armond is still with Fender. I was just at Fender's site the other day and De Armond was still linked. I do have a De Armond Pilot Deluxe 4 string and I love it. Very solid bass with a great sound, very comfortable with a neck that I think is one of the best I'm ever played. I don't see why the 5 string would be any less good.
Don't ask me, I'm just the bass player.

My son has a DeArmond guitar (not bass). It's virtually a copy of a Guild BluesBird. Nice construction and finish, good playability, and sounds alot like a friends Telecaster.

Not sure if this helps... but based on my sons experience, I'd say give them a try.

They may be completely out of business though... as models are sold out they appear to become unavailable.

Archived