Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

pickup routing for MIM Jazz

Ryan Griffith

Fellow low-enders,

I have a pre 2001 MIM J-bass, and I'd like to replace the noisy pickups. Now, I know we've had these kinds of threads before, so this is an alteration on them! I've decided on the pickups I want (vintage Fenders or Basslines antiquity II's), but what I'd like to know is about the routing. The bridge p/u is longer by a fraction of an inch... for those who've replaced them, do you lengthen the rout yourself, or get it done by a pro? With the right tools is this an easy process? Thanks in advance for your input!

:)

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd at least check out a local repair shop. their price for pickup/routing/installation might compare with what you'll pay for the pickups alone (at least they'll try to compete).

i bought a mexi new in '94. added duncan 'basslines', shielding, and a badass bridge. good bass.

Rout away. This is why God made pickguards, to cover up the awful butcher jobs we do in the home shop!

Seriously, it depends on how conversant you are with power tools. I've routed pickup cavities a couple of times by chucking a router bit into a drill press and actually moving the body around on the table (put down something that'll prevent scratches). Or you can use a router. But if you have no experience with power tools, this is not the job to practice on. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Sorry to dredge up this old topic again, but I have one more question (they just keep coming!). I had heard somewhere that the screws for replacement pups for Jazzes aren't in the same spot (on the bridge pickup, specifically) as the pre 2001 MIMs. I'd like to hear from people who replaced the pups in these basses... did you have any problem with screw alignment? Thanks in advance, folks!

Regards,

~Griff

Archived