Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Combo for a big gig?

Ryan Griffith

Fellow Low-Enders,

I was looking at amps online which I can't afford, and it got me thinking. I usually tend to see bassists in Bass Player and the like with huge stacks & the like. 300+ watt heads & 2 or 3 cabs. While that's understandable for stadium shows, how about oer kinds of gigs? I own a 100W Ampeg combo, which sounds great & has a line out jack. For clubs and outdoor festivals & that kinda scene, is it practical for one to keep using their combos by miking or going direct to the PA? Do any of you out there do this, or has anyone tried it? I've done it at a medium-sized club & a festival with success.

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do a little live sound stuff, I wouldn't expect the basses to go all alone when every one else has access to the the main system. I also like haveing control over the tone, not that I mess with everything, I just work with a lot of ariture bassests(if you are good ask the sound dude to just run you flat, if you are good enough to ask he will do it , or you can kick him), the only thing to worry about is that you tone will change a bit (usally for the worest) through the PA, especally if there are no subs.

just food for though

Yeah, keep the combo for your on-stage sound and go direct to the PA. A good quality DI, usually before the amp, seems to be the most common method. That is, you plug your bass into the DI, which then sends one output to the PA and the other to your amp.

The other option, found on some fancier combos, is to use the DI on the amp. But some amp DIs are more equal than others. Also, when using an amp DI the whole topic of whether to send the sound to the board before or after your own preamp sound tweaks gets people going. I think a search of the forum will get you some more on this

When I do large shows there is usually an amp provided (SVT or GK head/Hartke bottoms are the most common); I just plug in and go.

A miked or DI'ed combo might work but the real reason for big amps at big shows is you need to move more air to be heard by your bandmates on the large stage. It's not for the audience!

Of course if you only do 1 or 2 big shows a year, squeaking by with a combo is more cost effective than buying a huge rig only to keep it in mothballs most of the time.

Archived