Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AFofM

Ryan Griffith

Fellow Low-Enders,

I was checking out Bob Gollihur's site (great site, Bob!) and he mentions the American Federation of Musicians on it. It got me all curious-like, so I perused the AFM website. But I'd like the opinions of you fine folk too. How many of you belong to the union? Why do you belong? What are the pros & cons to being a member? I'm kind of wondering if I should go & join or not.

Thanks for the info!

:)

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Griff, there are varying reasons why a musician joins the AFM (the "of" has been taken out). The bylaws of the AFM require the locals to operate a referral service. How that works is up to each local. Local 153 in San Jose has a full-time employee whose only job is to run the service and though he works out of the San Jose office it is a regional service shared with Local 6 in San Francisco and Local 292, Santa Rosa. The service works well for organized groups that have a commercial product that the public wants. Equipment insurance is another reason that some join, especially when one finds out their homeowners policy doesn't cover them since they are a professional musician. Many locals also have group medical and dental plans available. Their is contract protection, some locals have contract guarantee funds. Local 153 has a lawyer on retainer and has never had a problem collecting payment for our members. The AFM has one of the best pension plans in the U.S. In my area we have contracts that enable contributions on casual engagements as well as collective bargaining agreements. There are also protections for reuse and new use of recordings used in other mediums outside the original use, even at the lowest level such as the Bandstand Agreement for bands based on a partnership. Although there are many standards set by the International AFM alot happens at the local level. A union is only as strong as the members. If one joins they should become an active participant. A local's bylaws and wage scales and direction are set by the members. I'm sure your question and my post will trigger even more questions, and I'll do my best to answer any other questions regarding the AFM.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived