Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright Bass Query

Ryan Griffith

For all you upright players,

I saw that Sam Ash is selling a Carlo Robelli string bass for about $700. I'm not too familiar with upright makers, and wuold like some input on it. I figure with the price, it's not too good, but I might as well ask around. I'd like to get into upright, but they are pretty expensive. Anyways, if anyone has info on the Robelli basses, fill me in here.

Thanks! :D

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McGryff, just a coincidence but earlier today stopped at a local violin shop and played a few basses. They did have a half-size Kay at a compartively low cost, somewhere around $600 or $700. The other basses were starting at around $7,500. I haven't owned one for quite a number of years now but have the bug. I'm thinking of possibly getting a half-size to start back and if I really feel I'm into after woodshedding for a few months and if I wanted to upgrade it would be easy to get my money back out of it.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I've played those same Carlo Robelli basses and, well, you pretty much get what you pay for. If you're looking for an inexpensive upright I'd look for a used Kay or a new/used Engelhardt instead...they tend to be built with better craftsmanship...the bridge on the Robelli bass I played was terrible...and the nut was even worse (I think there was almost half an inch between the strings and the fingerboard at first position..)

No two uprights are the same, so you might find an exceptionally nice robelli...but my impression wasn't so good.

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

McGryff, just a coincidence but earlier today stopped at a local violin shop and played a few basses. They did have a half-size Kay at a compartively low cost, somewhere around $600 or $700. The other basses were starting at around $7,500. I haven't owned one for quite a number of years now but have the bug. I'm thinking of possibly getting a half-size to start back and if I really feel I'm into after woodshedding for a few months and if I wanted to upgrade it would be easy to get my money back out of it.

I'd suggest you go straight to a 3/4 if you think that will be your eventual destination. You may as well start on the right path with muscle memory and instrument requirements if you can.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Hey Griff,

Good uprights are tough to find at low cost. Bob G.'s page does have all kinds of links, but I must say I have not seen a ton of screaming deals out there. Also, Bob is correct that a 3/4 is the main axe for a lot of reasons. Scale lengths of 41" to 42'" are right in the comfort zone. A lot of the jazz cats like the old Kays. Many of them project really well. the only mod you may need to do is getting the original rosewood board replaced with an ebony board. The Kays can be had for $800 - $1000 and a new board should run $300 or so. Its a lot of bread, but that's how it goes.

The main thing is to be on the look out always. I got lucky at Elderly a couple years back. I was there picking up a used Fender J and found a 5/8 carved Meissel from the 30's or 40's. It has a shorter scale but projects really well. Pure dumb luck.

good luck, patience, and persistence

- pt

Griff, when it comes to string basses Bob is "the man". If you haven't already you should check out his page. I agree with Bob regarding the 3/4 size and was personally only considering the 1/2 size due to the price and my current finances and the infectious bug to have a string bass that has just overtaken me.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Thanks, guys, for the opinions & info. I think I'll take your collective adivice & steer well clear of the Robellis. It sounds like the Engelhardts are pretty good for the budget-minded bassist. Not that I have $900 to throw around, but for ruture reference, I suppose... I'd love to get into upright someday down the road when I can actually afford one.

Thanks a bunch, fellas!

:)

Regards,

~Griff

hey bob

i stumbled upon your upright bass links awhile ago, great site. thanks for doing it. your second link above doesn't work, though- the "--" got attatched to the end of it.

it sounds like your question has been answered, McGryff, but i'll throw into the "old kay" pile. mine's a '57 kay with no major cracks. i paid $1200, but it's in really good condition. i still have the rosewood fingerboard- it doesn't look great, but it gives it a great sound (ebony would be brighter). a nueman 8 inches out off the g-string and a nueman condenser pointed at my right hand makes this thing sound great, better than more expensive basses...

IMHO

Originally posted by wager47:

hey bob

i stumbled upon your upright bass links awhile ago, great site. thanks for doing it. your second link above doesn't work, though- the "--" got attatched to the end of it.

IMHO

Thanks, glad you find the web site useful! And thanks for letting me know about the glitch. The sig line software for this board does some odd things to your input as it applies UBB codes. I'll try to repair it.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Archived