Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Combo amp position on stage

dansouth

The problem with a combo amp is that it sends the sound out toward your feet rather than your ears. Many stages are cramped in the depth dimension, so you can't stand far enough in front of the amp to hear it effectively. I sometimes place a combo up on a portable table, but that kills a lot of the low end. What to do about this predicament?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The extension cabinet is fine for larger venues, but it can be overkill in a small club. It's a lot to lug around, too.

The tilted stand sounds interesting. Does it have a negative impact on what the audience hears?

Fender amps used legs on each side that allowed you to tilt an amp and head back. They are still available from Fender parts, or you could rig up something yourself.

I am also happy with the method Euphonic Audio uses for a slight tiltback... it's economical and handy. They place a spring-loaded recessed handle on the bottom of the cabinet (also good for dragging the amp out of the back of the van) which can be pulled out (towards the front of the cabinet) to provide a slight rise and very favorable angle IME. I employ mine depending on the gig, especially with a shallow stage.

OTOH I have also used stands with my long-gone 15" combo, an older one I still have that is around 30" tall, I believe, and simply elevates the amp. Of course, it decouples it from the floor, but it was very effective with double bass.

------------------

eclectic bass - http://www.eclecticbass.com

Double Bass Links - http://www.bobthebassguy.com/basslink.html

-- Life is too short for bad tone --

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I prefer to have my amp up higher as well. With my Eden Metro I use two milk crates. I put a cover over them on certain gigs where needed for the look. You can also use the crates to carry extension chords, etc. On gigs where I take a PA system I sit my amp on top of my PA rack.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

The problem with a combo amp is that it sends the sound out toward your feet rather than your ears. Many stages are cramped in the depth dimension, so you can't stand far enough in front of the amp to hear it effectively. I sometimes place a combo up on a portable table, but that kills a lot of the low end. What to do about this predicament?

this was discussed recently in the guitar forum, but it's a little bit different for bass. low frequencies are non-directional. if you have trouble hearing the highs (presence) of your amp, then pointing it up or setting it on something (milk crate?) will direct the highs toward your ears.

if you place your amp up on a table, it doesn't really "kill" the low end. when it's on the stage, the stage is enhancing the low end, if the stage is a hollow wooden box (most are).

if your signal is also going to a PA, then pointing/raising your amp up is the solution- the soundman can add highs as necessary. if the stage mix is the mix (jazz combo, acoustic group), then it needs to be pointed to the audience (raising it still works, but don't block the highs with your body).

unless you need frequent access to the amp controls, you might try putting the amp 6 feet to the left or right of you, on the stage, pointed diagonally towards you. if it's pointed too much to the right or left, you could run into other problems (bass traps!).

You may want to try an amp stand. Musician's Friend has the Ultimate Genesis 150 Amp Stand on sale for $20US. Holds 75 pounds and has 3 tilt positions.

I've been using the Quiklok BS-317 amp stand for several years. Holds 100 pounds and costs $50US at American Musical. It can be adjusted to almost any angle and sits low to the floor. The rubber feet tend to fall off but other than that, it's solid.

------------------

Chris Hardin

Chris Hardin

I've had this problem, along with one of the guitar players in my band.

One thing I've noticed is that the frequency range we hear on stage is not the same as what gets out to the audience. I position my amp so I can hear the notes rather than the tone - I go out front and listen to see what the tone is like. I play in a traveling theatre group that goes to different churches, and every room does something different to my sound. The only thing for sure is that the audience isn't hearing what I am, and I had to learn to deal with it.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have a Carvin PB100-15. I use the Carvin tiltback stand with it. It is only about $29.00 and really puts the amp in a great position. The stand is very sturdy, lightweight, and compact. I think it is on their website with the Mic stands.

Any of these products work with a small cabinet/bass amp combination?

I'd like to try something like this with my Acme B-2/SWR SM-400.

Probably have to put the amp head somewhere where it would be accessible though.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Hi Guys,

I do find it a bit better if I use an extention cab (with electric bass) which raises the amp higher from the floor (plus the increase in power and dispersion) but I do not usually lift the amp (iAmp CVL-110) off the deck when I use just the one cab unless it is a strictly upright bass gig. I do that ocassionally on upright gigs because the bass is also coupled to the floor and it causes feeback in certain rooms. If I have my druthers, I would simply place the amp further back from me and let the sound develope and disperse a bit before it reaches me (& the bass).

I did a rehearsal this past Saturday with my band, the Rob Hayes Project, and put the SWR WM-10 on top of the iAmp combo resting on top of the 1-12 Energy Group speaker cab. The WM-10 was right at my ear. I am experimenting with using seperate amps for electric and upright for the same gig so I don't have to switch settings or levels. To me the WM-10 sounded thin that high off the floor (very uncharacteristic of that amp) but the recording of the rehearsal sounded fine albeit not loud enough. I actually turned the WM-10 down (it was so close to the back of my head it sounded loud and thin to me). If I used this setup I would probably have to suffer with the louder sound to get more to the audience (maybe point it off axis from my head...). I agree with Bob G. that the tilt back device on the bottom of the EA (and on the WM-10 also) is a good thing. I can even use it when the iAmp is sitting on top of the 1-12 extention cab to get a slant top cab effect like the Marshall guitar stack.

BTW "The Rob Hayes Project" is preparing for a gig on Sept 14 at the Coffee Gallery Backstage - 2029 Lake Ave in Altadena Ca., phone (626) 398-7917 for reservations or information (admission is $8). Their website is http://www.coffeegallery.com/showsat.htm

I want to invite Los Angeles area Bass Station members to come out and see this band. We have been recording a CD but this is our first live gig and I am excited about the sound of this band. This is an original project and there are some great tunes in our set. Rob Hayes (guitar/leader) and I met at Musicians Institute 21 years ago and have been buddies ever since. Rob has written and/or produced music for TV and commercials for years and has previous releases on the "Voice Of The Guitar" series of CD's. The other band members are Mark Goldstien (Keys), Mark Schmidt (vibes), Frank Patallo (Drums), and me playing electric and upright. Here is a picture of the group:

http://www.bassland.net/coffee_gallery.jpg

PLUG>

Regards.

BL

This message has been edited by BassLand on 08-27-2001 at 11:58 AM

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

BassLand,

I have no problem with the plug, except you have to caption the photo - which one is you?

Maybe we should have a thread just for brief info on the exploits of Bass Station members. This would be especially cool for us hobbyists/irregular players. If we limit the size to something like BL did, that would be fun to see.

BL - did you avoid naming yourself in the photo for a reason? You never know - someone might cut you out and send it to that guy Slade at www.uglybassplayer.com.

(I've sent him an old photo, but he hasn't used it yet).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

BassLand is the one with the 'dreads. He's been around awhile http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif and has answered some questions for me. Check out his website when you get a chance.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Archived