Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Positives" of Bass Player Magazine?

xtian_dup1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one other comment that has come up since my other post in this thread.

Some of the cover blurbs are kind of screamin' hyper. For example, on the May issue cover Ed's piece on Todd Johnson (a good piece about an amazing musician) turned into "FIRE YOUR GUITARIST! PLAY BASS & CHORDS".

That's so far out there it just strikes me as kind of silly. I notice that Guitar Player and the keyboard magazine from the same stable seem to think you need to have this sort of headline, too.

Personally, I'm not convinced. The magazine is good enough it doesn't need to do that sort of thing.

Thanks for the congrats on my new book, I was very happy to see a full page ad in this month's BP!

As far as the headline for the Todd Johnson story, I tend to agree with your sentiment. It strikes me as a bit tabloid-ish, but the bottom line is the front cover's job is to get you to pick up the book. I think the average person who doesn't read BP will be more curious about a headline like "Fire Your Guitarist...etc" than one that said "Todd Johnson, Amazing Bassist plays chords and walks at the same time..."

Toward the goal of getting new readers, you do what you can to get the magazine open in their hands. That's Show Biz!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I thought the "Fire Your Guitarist" blurb was irresponsible. Thanks goodness that it was an isolated incident.

However, on the positive side, I appreciate that the Table Of Contents page features a map of the cover that links each of those blurbs to a page number. This is an outrageously good idea and a real timesaver! Thanks, BP!!!!!!

One of the things that BP did for me was introduce me to a wider range of music. WHen I was reading the mag, I had never heard of Manring, Pattituchi, and many others. I would read about them, or read their articles and then buy their music. That has been an education in itself!

------------------

Archived