Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got Loop?

Ed Friedland

I'm really curious about the whole looping thing. I'm facinated by the possibilities and have heard some pretty amazing things from our resident expert Steve Lawson. So, what kind of set up would be best for someone that wants to jump into the looping thing without getting into massive expense. I've seen the Boomerang, and even tried it. Besides not being able to save your loops, I found it hard to get it to recirculate in tempo. What kind of looping rigs do you guys use?

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed,

Thanks so much for your compliment - it always means a lot when players I respect 'get' what I'm doing. Thanks.

For gear, you've got quite a few options - my favourite at the moment is the Line6 DL4 - the downsides are that it doesn't have MIDI or a save option, but it is a really easy intuitive interface, you can reverse the loops, take it up or down and octave (and double or half the speed at the same time) and you get all those other cool delays for other gigs. You can also use one of the delays at the same time as the loop, so add a chorus pedal and you've got a gig rig!

The other cool options at the moment are the BOSS RC-20, which I've not tried yet, but I saw the demo at NAMM and it looks to be pretty versatile, with up to 5 minutes of loop time, and I think a storage function (worth checking that one).

The top end loop boxes are the Echoplex EDP and the Electrix Repeater (which isn't out yet, but again I saw the demo at NAMM and it ROCKED!!!) - both are amazing, and the Repeater allows storage.

So, I'd say go with the Line6 for now (28 seconds is plenty for most loop stuff), and if you get the bug, go for a Repeater.

The place for loops on the net is www.loopers-delight.com (remove the - if that doesn't work) - there's a really really cool discussion list attatched to that one...

i'll be at Bass Day, so come and try out the DL4 in the Ashdown room!

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

The cheapest loop solution out there are used DigiTech rack delays. They made an RDS series that had models with 4 and 8 second maximum delays. Look for models RDS-3.6, RDS-3600, RDS-4000, RDS-8000, RDS-7.2, etc.

These are old school digital delays that can do chorus, flange, etc. but one at a time with no programming memory. You use a foot switch or a front panel button to put the box into infinite hold mode once you've set up your loop. You can find them for under $100 used. Yeah, they are not the greatest sounding delays but the price is right.

DigiTech also made a stomp box 8 second delay, the PDS-8000, which also can be had for $100 or less used.

The Looper's Delight page Steve mentioned has info on these units.

This message has been edited by brianrost on 06-22-2001 at 08:15 AM

If you have a pc w/ a soundcard, Sonic Foundry's Acid is badass. Multitrack looping, time compression, and much more. Definitely not the cheapest solution, but far from the most expensive. Mucho bang for buck.

Jason

The Line6 is the green box they have out right? The Delay Modeler? I saw Chris Tarry using that at the VBC and thought it was very cool. Well, I'll definitely stop by Ashdown at BD. I'd love to get a quickie tutorial from you Steve. I get the musical prospects, but somehow I don't quite get the tech end of making the loops work. Guess I need to have one to mess with. My ultimate goal is to get the loop thing happening so I can do solo gigs and play Holiday Inn lounges across America with my solo/looping bass Jimmy Buffet tribute!

Hey, I can dream can't I? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Ed,

consider yourself booked in for a tutorial. With your taste, chops and chordal knowledge, I'm really looking forward to hear what you come up with working with loops. It'd be great to hook up the piccolo and a normal bass with an MDB-1, so you could switch between them. I do that with fretted and fretless...

for a really basic look at how looping can be used, have a listen to the new MP3 of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' that is on my site - it's a live recording from a gig about 6 weeks ago...

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Steve,

Hmm, I could do some fun stuff by switching basses. But tell me, what is the MDB-1? A switching device? I have an A/B box.It's too bad they don't make the JamMan anymore, I've heard good things about that. But I remember seeing Jaco do his loop thing with Weather Report years ago with one of those Electro-Harmonix Memory Man boxes, that was ancient technology compared to today's standard, but he floored me!

Looking forward to my tutorial!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Ed,

who got loop?

you got loop!

I was well impressed with the stuff you were coming up with today at Bass Day - straight of the bat, you were sounding way cool with that Line 6 pedal - I'm really looking forward to hearing what you come up with when you hook up the piccolo as well.

You Rock!!

Great to see you at the show today

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Thanks Steve, as I said in my email to you, I'm debating the relative merits of the Line 6 vs. the Boomerang. Here are my impressions: The Line 6 sounds great of course, is smaller to carry, less expensive, has other useful features (I love the analog delay model) and allows for a chorus effect while looping. The only drawback I see is the 28 second loop time. The Boomerang is about twice as much $, but has over 2 minutes of loop time. The floor layout is very easy to use with you feet. It has no other features though. Anyone have thoughts on the comparison of the 2? I think I'm leaning toward the Line 6 based on cost mostly, and I can use the delay feature too.

It was great hearing Steve doing his loop demo at the Ashdown booth at BDLA, he was very inspiring. If you get a chance to check out one of his solo shows or the ones with Manring...GO!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Next chapter of the looping saga...

I bought a Boomerang, but found the sound quality to be lacking, it's only a 24khz sample. So I exchanged it for a Boss Loop Station. The sound quality is far superior, it has lots of features which I haven't explored yet, you can save phrases permitting it to be used as a live sample player, a total of 5 minutes of memory, and so far seems to have an easy interface for basic live loop creation and overdub. Plus, it's cheaper! I think I'm going to stick with this one.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Congrats on finding the box for you!! :o)

I've not tried out the boss pedal yet, but I did see a demo at NAMM, and it looked great. I can't wait to see what you do with it, Ed. It's a shame you're not up here in the bay - the Manring/Walker/Lawson gig last night went really well, and the trio stuff with us all using sync'd up JamMans has sooooooo many possibilities. We got a great recording of last night's show, so who knows...

If any of the rest of you are around for any of the other dates, please come down - check my website for Sacramento (tonight!), Big Sur, San Jose and Santa Cruz...

...next time there's a bass loooping tour Ed, my guess is you'll be playing.. :o)

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Check for details on my growing rig in the Favorite New Gadget folder!

I think I'm getting it happening. I even have a line on a club where I can get a solo "happy hour" gig when I know my setup. So, it won't be long.

Ed

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived