Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright tone on electric

KAP

I read Ed's excellent Bass Player article on this subject, but what I am also looking for is EQ and relative volume settings on the amp and on the bass that will help approximate the resonance of an upright bass. You can be specific with frequencies, since I have a 9-band EQ on my amp.

I'm also curious if anyone uses a particular brand of flatwounds that give more of an upright tone. I have new Dean Markley flats on now, they're quite stiff, and I know that upright strings are usually much more flexible and have less sustain.

Please don't say "get an upright!" I would if I could!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KAP,

there are so many variables in any tone, that frequencies and such like are only ever going to be approximate... as for strings - tapewounds can sound really cool, but then there's such a diverse range of upright sounds, you're still only going to sound like one kind of upright with one kind of strings! :o) Try comparing Neils Henning Orsted Peterson with Patitucci, or with Edgar Meyer, or Scot Lafaro, or Eddie Gomez, or David Friesen????? they all sound wildly different, with different strings, amps, set ups and basses...

best bet is to take some time and experiment - try everything, all the EQ ideas that you can. If you're OK with setups, try raising and lowering the action. try a set of tapewound strings, then try tomastik flats, or elites or Labellas...

Ulitmately, it's more in the hands than the bass, I'm sorry to say. I only wish it were possible to buy tone. All you can do is remove obstacles...

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

One thing that helps get a fat woody sound is picking softly with your fingers 12 frets up from where the note is. Takes a little getting used to but isn't as weird as it sounds in practice. Just make your right hand think like your left.

Jason

I've tried Fender nylon flats. I liked the sound but they lost their tone after about four months. I was also unhappy with their apparent inability to stay in tune, and I had intonation problems, too - I had to set the barrels almost as far as they would go toward the bridge. After a while they felt "stretched out," and they would roll sometimes when fretted.

I'll give the Dean Markleys a couple weeks, if I'm not happy with them I'll try something else. It's hard as hell finding flats in my local stores.

I know what you mean Steve, there's no easy fix.

Thanks everyone!

Archived