Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stan the Man, Still the Man!

BenLoy

I just caught Stanley Clarke this past Saturday in Huntington, Long Island, and man the guy can still burn. He played a lot of his newer fuzak stuff which I'm not a huge fan of (the concert was sponsored by CD 101.9, the local "smooth jazz" station), but his stellar playing on every song caused me to easily overlook this...man can he play! His solo performance on double bass brought the house down with some insanely fast slapping/popping drumming rhythms that I've never heard him do before. Looks like the man hasn't been resting on his laurels...

Jimmy Earl was also with him playing basslines while Stanley played lead bass all night, although he managed to coerce Jimmy into taking a few solos himself (in one funny moment he physically pushed Jimmy into the spotlight at the front of the stage, and he kept instinctively trying to move back...guess it's that rhythm section disease!). Jimmy definately held his own (he's a great player in his own right...but it's gotta be intimidating trading solos with Stanley Clarke! Yikes...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived